Differences between MCE and XP Pro

OK, here it is:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\MedCtrUpg]
"IsLegacyMCE"=dword:00000001

Please note that this is a protected key so you will have to use another installation of Windows to change it.

Please, how do I edit a protected registry key from a other Windows installation (or perhaps a BartPE cd, http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/) ?

• 2 weeks later...

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone can list which files from xp pro sp2 differs with xp mce cd1 2k5 (and the best with size) ?

I havn't mce disks here atm, but I'm planning to add mce in my multicd which is actual about 572mb. I hope that will feat on 700mb.

I have read a tweak/h*ck to enable joining domain after setup in mce, this is just the difference with classic xp pro ? Do you think it's "clean" to use a mce cd1 disk instead xp pro sp2 ?

Thanks!

edit: @EAT MY DUST: yes mce disk1 2k5 has sp2 + wmp10 already updated.

• 8 months later...
Looking at the price difference (MCE2005: 99 EUR/122 USD vs Pro: 129 EUR/158 USD) you may accept the inconvenience of the missing group policy editor and the centralized management - as long as you can help yourself with some registry tweaks. :yes:

Well, my WinXP MCE 2005 SP2 has group policy editor. As stated previously, MCE is XP Pro without support for domains/Active Directory.