Which is the Best Brand Hard Drive

SATA 3.0Gb/s, 7200 RPM, 16MB : Samsong, Western Digital, Maxtor, Seagate, Fujitsu, Hitachi ?

i want to make a good buy, however, i've heard stories about some of these drives and others i've never knew were on the market :}:} ....... guys i need your help / expertise advice

Edited by ideas

seagates are good quality drives and if i had to choose a best it would definitely be them.

and even tho seagate is my #1 overall pick, the WD raptor is a really nice performing SATA drive

Edited by ophiel

This is an ongoing question which sems to have no one answer. Most of us rely on our experience and that of friends, but as with many things, things are not always as they seem.

Every manufacturer has had batches of lemons. Every single one. Large numbers of people had problems with IBM's notorious "DeathStar" drives, but (I bought three of them many years ago and they are still going strong! Go figure.

I have stacks of dead Quantum, Seagate, Maxtor, and particularly WDs (apologies to Kel!). I had great luck with IBM/Hitachi for years, but currently I've settled on a new champ - Samsung.

The reason I like the Samsung drives (I'm currently running a 160GB, a 250GB, and 300GB in my machine) is that they, as a rule, are quiet - very quiet compared to all the others, they are several degrees cooler than Seagate, Hitachi, or WD of a similar size, and they tend to be aggressively priced. That combination is hard to beat.

Seagate performs very well and is in the forefront technology wise, pioneering perpendicular domains resulting in much higher density drives. They also have finally given some competition to HItachi in the ntoebook drive arena of 7200rpm drives.

Depending on what your needs are, you may make different choices. If you work with video stuff and need a very fast system drive you would look at the Seagate 10K or even 15K drives, whereas if you plan to have three or more dirves in the same3 case you might want to consider the noise and temperature issue and go with Samsung like I do.

Whatever you do, have a backup plan, just in case! :^)

Whatever you do, DO NOT choose Maxtor. i have had a couple of maxtors die on me after only a few months of usage. They also make the most annoying noise ever, absolutey awful is what they are. For reliabilty id have to say seagate would be my personal favourite, i have a 20gb hdd from 8 yrs ago that still works perfectly.

ScubaSteve, sorry to hear that you have had bad experiences with Maxtor, personally they've never let me down. I guess it's just one of those things, maybe yours were from a bad batch. I've always used and been able to rely upon Maxtor.

Edited by FAT64

I think its down to the fact that more people have had more problems wuth Maxtors than any other manufacture.

Me, Ive always had problems with Maxtor internal drives, yet ive got an external maxtor drive which ive had for YEARS! shared on network, works likes a charm! (watch it die tonight, LOL)

But maxtor internals....big no from me, i go WD or Seagate.

I like segate, WD, maxtor and samsung (if low temp is more important than speed ). i have heard alot of problems with maxtor but tbh i have 5 250gb that i have had for over a year and have worked fine a 120 thats still good an 8gb that still works and even a 540mb drive that works fine (though is technicly useless!) i am still carefull over hitachi disks due to having owned one of the crap ibm disks that died on me. (hitachi brought ibm's disk devision a cupple of years later as ibm had done so much damage to their name by bringing out a very large range of unreliable drives)