Windows 2003 Server and Adding new hard drives...

Gmc

I stuck a 20gb NTFS formatted hard drive in my PC (Formatted it ages ago on another PC), and it shows up in device manager, but not under my computer? So I cant really access the drive to put files on...anyone know why its doing this at all? Thanks.

The new drive hasn't been formatted. Unallocated space on the hard drive doesn't show up in My Computer, so you will need to format to put a filesystem on. Go to Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management to do this :)

EDIT: Although you say its formatted, but its worth trying out the above anyway.

Ahh, going into the disk managment thing sorted it, I didnt know you had to assign a drive letter to the drive, I thought it'd do it automatically like the other windows versions. Thanks!

:) FORGET ABOUT NTFS...ALL MY PARTITIONS ARE FAT 32 AND EVERYTHING SEEMS TO WORK MUCH BETTER.

NTFS IS ALWAYS PUT FORTH AS REQUIRED; HOWEVER, ANY LOSS OF SECURITY USING FAT 32 CAN BE OVERCOME WITH YOUR OWN SOFTWARE AS NTFS USUALLY TRIES TO PROTECT THE SYSTEM FROM YOU AND NOT SO MUCH FROM OUTSIDERS...FAT 32 ALLOWS MORE FREEDOM :rolleyes: