Clean Start Over From Me To XP

1heavyd

I have an older CompaQ PC with a 565Mhz processor and 127 Mb RAM. I want to Install XP for a new PC (not an upgrade). I do not have a boot disk for the XP CD. Will someone please tell me the steps I need to do to install XP. I know how to do most operations but I am ignorant when it comes to technical jargon and operations. What is nlite and how would I use it if needed? Thanks a bunch. Can the emergency boot disk from Me or Win 98SE be used as a boot?

Edited by 1heavyd

My guess is that you can't select the CD rom as a boot device?

Did you go into the BIOS setup (at startup) and check to see if you can boot from the CD drive?

Also, I'm not sure that with this system you would want to load XP...with only 128MB of RAM and a 565 MHz processor, XP will be pretty slugish.

My recommendation is not to install XP on that machine as you will not be very pleased with the performance.

Boot from a 98SE disk (DOS 7.1) and make sure you have the CD-ROM drivers loaded. Then run WINNT.EXE from the I386 directory of the CD (or copy the whole directory to the hard drive) to begin the installation process.