getting kicked out of games

Lost Soul

hi ive been having a problem playing most games from csi to simple games like chess ,, every time im in one,, some times the games lower to the task bar for no reason,, i used to think it was just when i put my mouse at the top of the screen but then i realised it happens randomly

it can happen any time during a game,, when it lowers,, it just lowers to the task bar,, with out any errors,, ive checked the event log and cant find any errors for this

im running xp pro with 80g hd with about 40% free and 1g of ram, all my drivers are up to date i have a sb audigy 2 and a radeon 9700 pro 128mb vid card

i know this problem shouldnt be happening.. and its rather annoying while trying to play games

does any body know what this problem may be originating from,, ideals ? this one is puzzling me..

thanks for any help or advice you could give

Are you running folding@home or Seti?

If you are running SETI@Home or Folding@Home graphical clients switch to the console versions. I had the same problem with my games while using Folding@Home graphical client problems disappeared when I switched to console version. Thats my guess..

-d-

Edited by D22

What programs are you running in the background? I understand and agree with the previous posters that a application running in the background could cause this problem. However guessing what application this is will be quite difficult IMHO. :)

Did you check for spyware or other nasty things that might interfere? Or good things like updating AV definitions? Thinking of this brings me to another question, are you connected to internet at all when games crash to desktop?

If there is nothing special/nasty running than I would reinstall my videocard drivers first before looking anywhere else.

well nothing nasty as i can see, ive ran a scan with trojan remover, spybot, adware, reg cleaner , cwshredder ,, and kaspersky

well i just did a test to see if id still get kicked out / lowered out of the game ,,

,my test consisted of shutting the internet off and shutting all programs down, like security and everything else i use like avedesk and so forth,, there for only the game would be running during the test,,

and what i notice is that,, some times the game has 2 mouse pointers 1 at the top of the game screen and when ever you move your mouse to high on the screen, like the top of the screen, the game automatically lowers you out of the game, placing the game on the taskbar..

any body have any ideals for that one ?

Edited by Lost Soul

Perhaps the games have difficulties with your hardware mousecursor and want to use their own software cursor together with it. Some games have settings for this, or use Rivatuner or some other vidcard tweaker to disable/enable the hardware cursor to see what happens.

You say you have no errors and a clean eventlog. Can you simply restart the games after chrashing, or you need to reboot ?

i found this tool for tweaking my ati vid card " ATI Tray Tools " i have a ati radeon 9700 pro, but i dont see any where in it on how to disable a hard ware mouse and also,, if i do this wouldnt that,, make my mouse to where i cant use it during normal pc use ?