IDE drive identification

I have two hard drives - one 20GB Maxtor and one 130GB WD installed on my machine. When I enter the BIOS, it shows the maxtor drive as drive1 and WD drive as drive 0. The data cable that runs inside the PC first goes to the mactor drive and then to the WD drive. However, IBM product recovery utility shows the maxtor as drive 0 and WD as drive 1 (opposite to what BIOS says). Is there a way to rectify this?

It depends. Are the drives set as DO/D1 by the cable or by the jumpers? Or are the jumpers set incorrectly on a cable select cable? On cable select cables the drive at the end is D0. But if you have the jumpers set things get a little more confusing.

If you have a cable select cable set both drives to cable select and see what happens. If its not a cables select cable put D0 on the end of the cable and D1 closet to Motherboard after setting the appropriate jumpers.

The BIOS is probably right... the recovery utility is probably looking for a specific model of drive (OEM) instead of the actual drive assignment by the BIOS... try another diagnostic program to see what the general agreement seems to be.