2000 Pro client allow Remote desktop access

Ryman

I have a LAN with one machine serving as a file server for six others. The file server is a 2000 pro machine, not server edition. All six other machines are XP pro. There are no machines running a server OS on the LAN. I want to put the file server in a closet, out of sight and out of reach. I would also like to get rid of the monitor, mouse and keyboard to prevent it from ever being used as a workstation. I can't figure out how to allow my XP machine to gain access to the 2000 pro machine via remote desktop when I need to get at it. Some threads on other forums indicated that this isn't really possible without installing a third party tool on the 2000 pro machine. However, the other threads were not quite the same scenario. Can anyone clear this up for me? Thanks!

I can't figure out how to allow my XP machine to gain access to the 2000 pro machine via remote desktop when I need to get at it.

It's not possible. Windows 2000 Professional doesn't have a Remote Desktop "server". You'd either have to move to a server OS or, as FAT64 said, upgrade the machine to XP.

There are third party tools that will do it, such as VNC or pcAnywhere, but you'd still be better off just upgrading the machine. Why not just put a server OS on it and create a small domain?

My old server was running terminal server in 'administrative mode' in 2000 server thats the only way to make remote dektop possible, you do not need a Terminal server licence to run the 'administrative mode' and it allowes for 3 concurrent connections, 1 console and 2 remote sessions.

Hope it helps

Remote Desktop runs so much smoother. He really should be running a server OS on his file server. :)

My old server was running terminal server in 'administrative mode' in 2000 server thats the only way to make remote dektop possible, you do not need a Terminal server licence to run the 'administrative mode' and it allowes for 3 concurrent connections, 1 console and 2 remote sessions.

Hope it helps

He's running 2000 Pro on his file "server". :)

Are you sure you can get a console connection via RDP on 2000 Server? I know you can on Server 2003, but I'm not so sure about 2000 Server.