[WLAN] Problem accessing to my workgroup or neighbor Sharedocs

coucou

Hello,

I've a small (4 PCs) wireless network working fine.

Last week I reinstall a fresh Unattended WinXP + appz on one machine (PC3).

Since that, each time i try accessing my workgroup "Maison" or the neighbor Sharedocs from that machine (PC3), I've "Maison is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this networkk resource. Contact the Admistrator..." message (see attached image).

To get ride from that, i must Disable Symantec Client Firewall for 5 minutes.

Is there anyhow to fix that once and all for all?

TNX

coucou

Edited by coucou

Hi,

Sorry for the delay reply. :blushing: I had Problem with my computer.

@nitroshift: YES, all the machines are in the same workgroup "Maison" and in the same ip range

@RogueSpear: You are right regarding Symantec blocks NetBIOS. But, how do you explain that all the 4 computers have exactly the same firewall RULES (see bellow enclosed image) and only one of them have the access problem?

I have look more closer my problem to exactly defining it. Here it is.

1) I'm working on computer (name) Lifetec belongs workgroup Maison .

When I double click on My Network Places/Microsoft Windows Network, I have my workgroup Maison displayed.

But, When I double click on workgroup Maison I get "Maison is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this networkk resource. Contact the Admistrator..." message.

2) I can access to any SharedDocs workgroup neighbor computer by typing his name in the address bar example: \\dimension\SharedDocs

3) I can access to my working computer (Lifetec) by typing \\Lifetec in the address bar, BUT NOT to it SaredDocs.

If I type \\Lifetec\SharedDocs, i get "\\Lifetec\SharedDocs is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this networkk resource. Contact the Admistrator. The network path was not found" message.

In brief, I can access to all my SharedDocs workgroup neighbor computers BUT NOT to my SharedDocs working computer.

Hope to get more help with this exact problem description.

Regards

coucou

Edited by coucou

Ok for starters you're in a workgroup, not a domain, so right there that means accessing shares amoung multiple computers is going to be a huge PITA. Make sure everyone has an account (or knows the credentials) for everyone else's computers. And make sure all of the accounts have passwords. You can't share something using an account that has no password.

I don't know how much budget plays a role here, but you could probably save yourself a ton of grief by picking up one the many cheap NAS boxes on the market. Just plug it into your switch (or router/switch) and go. Tom's Networking should have plenty of reviews.

Edited by RogueSpear

TNX RogueSpear for reply.

I've NO domain configured. I'm in a workgroup.

Make sure everyone has an account (or knows the credentials) for everyone else's computers. And make sure all of the accounts have passwords. You can't share something using an account that has no password.
As far i know, you need accounts and passwords for network users ONLY if you plan to share a specific storage hard drive, folder or Internet connection.

Each workgroup computer have a SharedDocs folder which is a FREE access to the workgroup users, that mean NO accounts/passwords needed... It's my case.

Moreover, in my case, I can access to all workgroup SharedDocs neighbor computers BUT NOT to my own SharedDocs working computer unless i disable the symantec firewall.

Regarding the NAS boxes, right now i have no need.

Regards

coucou

Edited by coucou

Well I'm not an expert with workgroup networking as I pretty much only do that at home. Most of the time I'm in a domain. But at home, the way I have mine setup, I needed to supply credentials in order to connect and I think that's what you're going to need to do as well. If workgroup networking in XP allows you to easily setup a share that any Tom, Dick, or Harry can connect to without any sort of authentication, then that's pretty scarry.

Further, good troubleshooting techniques would suggest that you should disable your software based firewalls until you get the shares sharing properly. Then enable them and troubleshoot that if necessary.

Well I'm not a networking expert too and I use workgroup networking only at home too. Then, I've not to panic or take a fright from my family. Our rule is the privacy respect. If there is something to share just put it on own SharedDocs computer.

Further, good troubleshooting techniques would suggest that you should disable your software based firewalls until you get the shares sharing properly. Then enable them and troubleshoot that if necessary.
This what i did, the shares sharing properly after disabling the firewall. Moreover, they still work after enabling the firewall, and that until the next reboot.

In other words, i've to disable my firewall after my computer's switch ON, access to my own SharedDocs then enable the firewall. It's not a neat solution!

coucou

I've never run into a situation like you describe, but it certainly sounds like an issue with the firewall, not XP. In fact it's just this sort of flaky behavior that made me finally ditch Symantec's firewall. The only suggestion that I can give you at this point would be to enter in the other computers in the Symantec Firewall's "Trusted Computers" list. In theory this is supposed to make all communications unencumbered, but in practice I've found otherwise. But who knows, perhaps it will clear this issue up for you.

The only suggestion that I can give you at this point would be to enter in the other computers in the Symantec Firewall's "Trusted Computers" list.
Already done... no change!

Regards

coucou

A quick question, coucou:

When you added a password to your XP user account, did you check the option to "make your files and folders private?" If you did, then you will not be able to see your own SharedDocs folder if it's physically located in your "Documents and Settings" folder on the PC by using the network URL: \\Lifetec\SharedDocs.

To check this, open the Properties window of C:\Documents and Settings\username and make sure that "Make this folder private" is unticked in the Sharing tab.

An alternative to this is to place the SharedDocs folder at the root of the drive and share it there. It should work as long as it's not in your profile or Windows folder.

Edited by 5eraph