upgrading XP Pro -> Server 2003

currently have an xp pro workstation acting as server on a small network. need to upgrade to win srv 2003 to allow it to share its fax printer. i know this is not a microsoft approved upgrade path, so win srv 2k3 install will not allow upgrade during setup.

i dont want to reinstall os, so i have tried several things (after making complete backup): used tweaknt to switch os to server and tried upgrade again, but still says cannot upgrade from xp. (tried setup from within windows, and tried booting from cd)

so basically i have to trick windows setup into thinking i am upgrading from server to server. can anyone give me some ideas as to how to do this?

thanks

Since the upgrade routine actually checks file versions and dates, you'll likely never actually be able to get it to work (XP is version 5.1.2600 for most system files and 2K3 is 5.2.3790 for most files). I suppose someone out there has done it, but knowing what I know about the setup upgrade routine, it'd be quite difficult to get working.

so it seems that the solution is not to modify the windows xp installation, but the setup binaries.

i replaced WINNT32A.DLL and WINNT32U.DLL with those from win xp pro cd (sp2) and i am getting a little further. (still getting error before file copy begins: "unable to build file list")

saw something about these file on a forum in another language.

will have to keep trying

To be honest you're spending more time figuring out how to do an upgrade install from XP to Server 2003 than you would if you just did a fresh install of Server 2003 and reconfigured the FAX services.

Between the time you posted the original message and the time you replied to cluberti (over 12 hours), you could've had the entire thing reinstalled and reconfigured. :)