[LAN] Forward same traffic to mulitple PCs?

So lets say you have an application which you need to allow traffic to get through your firewall on 2 separate PCs and theres no way to change the listening port on said application or the port of the incoming traffic to your network.

Is there any way possible, with a SOHO router (i.e. linksys WRT45G) to accomplish this?

TIA!

You would be breaking the laws of Network Address Translation.(NAT)

Your only bet would be to have some sorta crazy reverse proxy directly behind the firewall that does the splitting for you AFTER it passes the router.. Other than that.. I dont have any other information. I was looking into something similar to this at one point for my own "Remote Web Workplace" type system that SBS2003 has but had no luck, however, in theory.. should work.

With this setup, about the only way to do this is to setup a VPN box. This puts the remote machine on your network. Then you can comunicate with the other machines like you were right there.

I setup a VPN server at home and it works great. I connect over a single port and then can run any apps that need to talk to any of my machines. :D

durex - not sure if this is quite what you mean, but surely all you need to do [if your router supports it] is to utilize "port triggering" [or whatever the equivelent is in your router].

post-15242-1144526836_thumb.jpg

It works for me i.e. should me and a friend want to play the same game online on two computers for example.

Regards

Nath.

Edited by tarquel

• 1 month later...
general mandible, what is your VPN setup like, hardware-software wise? I was looking at doing something similar

I use a Windows 2000 Server (has all the software you need). Just setup port forwarding on your router. I think I found a guide somewhere on Microsofts site.