Windows XP

bjorland

I have SP1a on and have downloaded the new updates. No new drivers was found during the scan. I see some forum sites say it might be a faulty IDE cable. Can't ry it now as I am currently on the net, but as soon as I am disconnected, I will give it a try. ^_^

That seems likely. A friend had problems where it would say unmountable partition for his hard drive and I suggested that it could be a faulty ide cable. I gave him one of my spares and the drive hasn't given him any problems since then.

I am going nuts here. :)

I have changed drives from one IDE to another, changed IDE cables, bought a 80wire 40pin IDE cable, so now at least my HDD is running faster. I have updated Windows to the latest and greatest software, drivers & patches. I have established the HDD is not faulty, the CD-RW is not faulty, the BIOS is not faulty.

My BIOS sees all my drives, just can't remember if it used to say CD-ROM when it detected my CD-RW. It shows all four my drives, plus the name and firmware number on boot, then on the summary windows it says my HDD is running UDMA Mode 4, DVD-Rom is UDMA Mode 2, CD-ROM & CD-RW is n/a under UDMA, and all four is MOde 4 under PIO. I have the HDD (Master) & DVD-Rom (Slave) on IDE1, running on a 80wire IDE cable, and the CD-RW (Master) & CD-ROM (Slave) on IDE2, running on the normal 40wire IDE cable.

In both Windows 98 SE & Windows XP, the drives are listed under device manager with no problems. Nero InfoTool shows no problems and says my ASPI drivers are working perfectly under both OS. Nero sees the drive fine, tells me I have a blank CD in, and when I burn, it opens the drive and gives me a message saying that is no CDR/RW media in the drive. NTI CD-Maker platinum 6 tells me that I have no supported drive, but it always work fine before.

My last option now is to maybe re-format everything again, and see if the CD-RW is being seen by either Windows. Any last suggestions I can try before formatting?