Usb-2-ide converter and removeable tray

Ok, I have a ide to usb converter and I have connected it to my removeable harddrive tray (to use my tray as truely hot-swappable). I unmount the drive, then use my key to turn off the harddrive from the tray then I can remove it. However, when i put the tray back in and power it up, it doesnt show up in my computer or device manager. I believe its cause the usb to ide controller is still connected. Is there any way I can force windows to find it without having to disconnecting the usb cable each time?

keep in mind i already tried to "Scan for hardware changes" in device manager with no luck.

Thanks

-Matt

you need to turn the power off the the usb converter when you turn the power off to the tray. Most trays have a plug (or may just be solder points if plug was not installed) which switch on and off woth the switch.

The converter has to be disconnected from the machine either physically or by turning off poewr to it to have windows redetect it.

I had the same problem with my firewire hot plug bays.

If your converter has its own power connection check your bay and see if there is a connection on the back that is turned on/off by the switch that you could connect the conveter. That way when you turn the bay off it would turn the converter off.

It was something I bought off ebay. Its 2 parts...one being the ide-2-usb dongle and a separate power supply that plugs directly into the harddrive (which I would just use internal power rather than the external adapter).