Standby Disabled

xenithon

Hi All. My PC was quite messed unorganized and 'dirty' and it was definitely time for a fresh install. I re-installed XP SP2 using a CD made with nLite. I did not do any major mods (removing components that is) but used nLite just to integrate my SATA and video drivers and to integrate the latest hotfixes.

Everything installed smoothly and everything is working 100%, except that now Standy is disabled in the shutdown menu (it was fine prior to reinstallation). I did not change anything in the BIOS (settings were already set up to allow AMD Cool and Quiet to run: ACPI 2.0 on, APM on, suspend mode S3).

When I go into power settings in XP now there is no hibernate tab or APM tab. Also when I go into the device manager, under system devices there is no APM (not sure if it was there before but I came across it while searching the net to try find a solution).

I also installed the VIA 4-in-1 driver package which comes with the motherboard, which did not help either. I also tried a suggestion I came across while searching to install the 4-in-1 first, and then reinstall my Nvidia graphics card driver, but still no luck. I did come across a little registry tweak which should enable it, but I want to try and figure out a 'clean' way to enable it (before the reinstall it worked fine without any need for registry editing).

Any ideas what it could be?

Cheers,

X

Easy solution : Try to remake your CD without nLite. The integration of drivers doesn't need nlite processus. nLite is made to reduce windows source so many tweaks and clean process are done when you make you source with it. You can use HFSLIP to splitstream updates too ...

Goodbye.

Hi there. Thanks for the response.

Try to remake your CD without nLite. The integration of drivers doesn't need nlite processus. nLite is made to reduce windows source so many tweaks and clean process are done when you make you source with it.

I can do that, but I really wanted to try and find out what the cause of the problem is, in case I came across it again. I have already made another CD, but will leave that for if I cannot remedy the issue first ;)

I didn't do major tweaking with nLite, but did do some tweaking, which was very useful. Things like removing messenger, tweaking the tasbar and start menu, setting display settings. Most importantly was the integration of drivers, in particular SATA drivers (I have no FDD so installing Windows would be a pain due to the more complex means of integrating SATA drivers).

One thing I suspect may be the issue, but am not sure: I read in some forums that the VGA driver is often responsible for standby disabling issue, something to do with conflict with ACPI. They say that the order needs to be: mobo drivers (I assume that is the VIA 4-in-1) followed by VGA drivers. But, the VGA drivers were installed with nLite, the VIA drivers came after the install, as it was a setup EXE, non-extractable. I thus plan, if I don't come right, to uninstall VGA drivers; reboot and install VIA drivers; reboot and install VGA drivers again.

Any other suggestions as to what I can try?

Cheers,

X