Nero in W2k

Been a while since I logged a problem here. :)

I recently took off Windows XP after it magically lost my logical partition for the second time, luckily I got it back, or else I would have lost 19GB of stuff.

Anyway, I am now back on Windows 2000 plus Windows Me just for my games. I installed Nero 5.5.1028 on Windows 2000, and when I check under Media Info in Nero, it tells me I have a blank cd with capacity of 703MB. Now when I want to burn something, it tells me there is not enough space on the cd, it needs to overburn. It needs to burn 652MB, but is telling me the disc is only 7 minutes big or 62MB. ???

It did something similar to me on Windows XP, when I wanted to burn 703MB on the disc, and it also refused until I deleted some data to 700MB, and then all of a suddon it burned the CD. Also refused overburn, and I never had this problem before with the other versions.

Is this a problem with Nero 5.5.1028, is does it do funny things with a generated serial key? Have not tried 5.51035

Nero changes something with each release, and that's not always a good thing. It's destroyed several CD-R/W discs. I've had new releases BSOD Win2k. The latest releases seem to work. This is especially true for InCD, which won't upgrade previous versions. InCD ver 4.0.1.0 is a major change from verson 3.x.

I read up one some of Nero's FAQs, and interesting thing they said about the Hyperon 4-in-1 drivers from VIA. They say you should not install the IDE portion of the drivers. Now I have installed both these Hyperon package drivers under Windows 2000 & ME. On both operating systems my three optical drives (48x CD-Rom, CD-RW & DVD-Rom) show Compact disc under my Computer.

So now I am thinking that these drivers messed up everything, and that is the reason why I can't seam to burn any CD's in Nero, as well as not being able to use InCD. Funny thing is that these drivers worked perfect in Windows XP, except I never used InCD under Windows XP, as I never got it to work, until recently when my grandfather wanted it on his pc running WinXP,but still dit not try it on my pc. Well, WinXP is no longer on my machine since it lost my logical drive twice.

Any comments?

You have confirmed everything I've heard about WinXP. You're a lot better off with Win2k. It sure would be nice if there will be a "home" version of Win2k3. I've been using it for a month and it is faster than Win2k. It's more noticeable on a slower machine, like mine. BTW, the latest versions of Nero work fine with Win2k3.

XP is nice up to a point. I certainly noticed that cd-burning was far better in W2k than XP, also I found memory management to be better in W2k. I just need to find a way to uninstall those stupid VIA drivers. I tried last night under device manager, rebooted, and somehow W2k put the same VIA driver back. If I am not succesful, I will have to do a clean install of everything. :)

Where did you guys get hold of W2k3, as I think its not available in South Africa yet?

You'd better find and delete the *.inf file its using to reinstall the older drivers.

It can be a bit tedious, but last time I checked I think it installed manual *.inf's in a separate folder :rolleyes:

Once you remove that, it won't install any older drivers.. allowing you to umm.. either get rid of it completely or to have it default to newer drivers :)