XP startup options

charliefox

I remember seeing a useful utility for controlling or stopping which programs start up when windows loads. The reason I ask is that Outlook 2002 insists on loading when windows boots up and as a consequence downloads all manner or spam if I forget to kill it in the task manager before I have a chance to run mailwasher or my kids turn on the PC. Anyone know how I can control which programs start on Windows boot up?

Thank ya Kindly.

MSCONFIG is certainly the way to go

but there are admin based ways of disabling the programmes you dont want or need

try also setting the default mail client to be something other than outlook 2002

reached from control panel>internet properties>programs drop down menus select summit other than outlook

If you want help on using MSCONFIG check this site out

http://www.netsquirrel.com/msconfig/

there is also bout half way down a superb link telling you what the programs are

:rolleyes::)

Thanks guys but so far no luck Outlook.exe does not appear in msconfig and making another program the default seems to have not acheived anything. Again the start up program does not feature outlook as an option. Think I will unistall and revert back to outlook 2000 it did seem a more stable program before the upgrade anyway!

Thanks for all the suggestions am still willing to try any others :)

there is no mention of office in msconfig or startup folders its a strange one when I close outlook.exe in the task manager from that point on if I open and close Outlook it behaves normally and closes the .exe I guess its just another M$ quirk to be put up with.

2 questions only...

First are you sure they aren't Windows Messenger pop ups?

2nd: Have you checked out WWW.COMPUTERCOPS.BIZ?

It's a cool security site and forum for people that use Mailwasher...as well as other apps.