Celeron d on stock hsf

Unclassified

I have a socket 775 celeron d 2.5ghz and i only have the stock hsf and a 120mm fan in the powersupply pulling out hot air. I have put it up to 2.9ghz and its 30 degrees c on idle and about 41 degrees c under full usage and hasnt crashed. Would i be able to push it abit more or should i wait until i get better cooling and at 2.5ghz in the bios its detected at 133mhz fsb but the cpu is a 533mhz fsb, will this affect performance.

Push it higher. Celerons are known to be very overclockable.

My Celeron 2.4 is currently running at 3.2 with the stock cooler. A friend of mine has the exact same chip but runs it at 3.8 with a custom-made extra-large heatsink and 120mm fan.

41°C under full load is well below the maximum temperature limit. Get it up to ~60° full load. I believe the maximum temperature for these CPUs is around 70° so you still have plenty of thermal space.

Yours can most likely do 3.2 on stock voltage, and probably can go higher.

Run Prime95 on it for a few hours to test the stability.

Edited by LLXX

Run MemTest86 on it for a few hours to see if the memory is stable at that speed. You won't damage it with excessive speed, you'll just get lots of memory errors that'll disappear when you lower the speed back down.

You can lower the memory divider and raise the core speed if the memory can't handle it.