[Question] - windows mce oem licence

bledd

ok

i've got a legal oem copy of mce that i installed on my athlon64 machine, but now i wanna put my athlonxp chip + motherboard in there because it really doesn't need all that power

so i can replace my desktop pc can have the 64bit cpu in my main pc instead

from what i've read, you're only really supposed to have 1 pc per oem licence, am i able to transfer the license by ringing microsoft? or will i have to make up a story and say "my current mobo has broken, so i'm replacing it with this other one etc"

will be using linux on the 64bit, so only need to transfer the mce licence..

any help appreciated!

Title Edited - Please follow new posting rules from now on.

--Zxian

I rang them [Australian] and they were very nice to me. I'd try the making up a story as i dont think the people on the phone would do that because they can get in trouble.

Its an OEM licence so it would mean that its for your computer only, just tell them and they should give you a new CD key.

I got 2 of the one I spoke to both valid, i said the first one didnt work [it didnt but then i realised my 8 looked like a B]

if your key is legal you will not have prob

just tell them you have done a format on your pc and dont tell them that you have changed something in your hardware (they just can't know that)

i have done this and they gave me the activation key at once

According to the EULA you cannot transfer the license to another PC and in MSs opinion this would be another PC.

The activation center's role is not licence enforcement, their promary concern is that the key is only being used on 1 PC. (I'd mention that I changed the hardware but wouldn't mention that it was the motherboard)