Drivers Instalation in Post-Install stage (New Method)

MadBoy

I've made some succesfull progress tracing the "COM Error with DOM!" 80041013 error. It seems related to the removal of the "Help and Support" component in nLite. Leaving the component alone did the trick :thumbup

Nice catch!

I'm still trying to figure out my previous problem with the dutch version of the Found New Hardware Wizard where it doesn't repond to Next, but fortunately it does work with the Finish button :blink: I'll try to mess around a bit more with the settings. Madboy, maybe you can see where the problem is? See my previous post for the log and settings.

I think i found the problem today when i was playing with vmware and setting things up in win2k3. I've never seen this msg before (as i wasnt testing the program on real missing device driver so most likely my program wouldn't know what to do here. In your case you had similar window to the one described below? Or not?

Welcome to the Found New Hardware Wizard

Windows will search for current and updated software by looking on your computer, on the hardware installation CD, or on the Windows Update Web site (with your permission).

Can Windows connect to Windows Update to search for software?

<A>Online privacy information</A>

&Yes, this time only

Yes, now and &every time I connect a device

No, not this &time

Click Next to continue.

Another thing I'm struggling with is the Driver Signing policy. I let nLite disable the Driver Signing Policy, but unfortunately it switches back on during the first boot after a fresh Windows installation. Hacking into the registry doesn't work as Windows recognizes the action als a harmfull attack. My workaround for this is a VBS script which automaticly go to sysdm.cpl and pushing the buttons to disable it (with sleep commands to wait for the windows to pop up). Then your tool will be executed and the drivers will be installed without unsigned driverpopups. But unfortunately, on slow or heavy loaded systems it doens't work properly :(

Maybe if you have the time, you can add this also to the drivertool?

SUre, it's planned :)

No, I don't have a similar window as you described, just the standard Found New Hardware window where you have to press Next to search for a driver. But I wrote a small VBS as a temporary workaround until this is resolved. :)

Dim WshShell, DriverTool
Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
Set DriverTool = WshShell.Exec("Hardware.exe")
Do While DriverTool.Status = 0
WScript.Sleep(5000)
WshShell.SendKeys ("%+O")
Loop
WScript.Quit

The code waits every 5 seconds to press on ALT+O which is the keyboard action to press Next in the dutch version, it loops until the program is finished. That way, the problem is solved as a temporary fix. I still don't know why only the Finish button works. I'm very happy knowing the installation-disc is now fully unattended :D

Edited by pSycho-Y2K

No, I don't have a similar window as you described, just the standard Found New Hardware window where you have to press Next to search for a driver. But I wrote a small VBS as a temporary workaround until this is resolved. :)

Dim WshShell, DriverTool
Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
Set DriverTool = WshShell.Exec("Hardware.exe")
Do While DriverTool.Status = 0
WScript.Sleep(5000)
WshShell.SendKeys ("%+O")
Loop
WScript.Quit

The code waits every 5 seconds to press on ALT+O which is the keyboard action to press Next in the dutch version, it loops until the program is finished. That way, the problem is solved as a temporary fix. I still don't know why only the Finish button works. I'm very happy knowing the installation-disc is now fully unattended :D

pSycho-Y2K try this please http://pro-solutions.org/download.php?id=2352344231

Simply start Add Hardware Wizard (i've hardcoded your nl values), start this file and see what happens. It should detect window (pop a button to press), detect next (pop a button to press) etc

Don't do this atm in automated way as it's just a test ;) The thing is i just cut out the code from my program and tested on both Win2k3 and WinXP, both english and it worked fine.

Edited by MadBoy

Okay, I followed your instructions and I see your AutoIT script window displaying a STOP error, the Next button isn't pressed by the script. I've captured both windows in the screenshot below:

post-34235-1206616431_thumb.png

Edited by pSycho-Y2K

Okay, I followed your instructions and I see your AutoIT script window displaying a STOP error, the Next button isn't pressed by the script. I've captured both windows in the screenshot below:

Please redownload the file. I have modified it so it takes as parameters Window Name Next and then Finnish

so execute it like this:

script.exe "Wizard Hardware toevoegen" Volgende Annuleren

and see what happens.

What if you type in

script.exe "Wizard Hardware toevoegen" "Volgende >" Annuleren

script.exe "Wizard Hardware toevoegen" "&Volgende" Annuleren

I ran both commands, but the outcome is like the screenshots I posted earlier. It seems that "Volgende", "Volgende >" and "&Volgende" doesn't work. What could it be, it looks like the button isn't recognized? Very strange :blink:

Edited by pSycho-Y2K

• 1 month later...
Try "V&olgende >"

P.S. MadBoy topictitle should say 2008 not 2007 :hello:

Tnx, fixed. Hopefully your tip will work for psycho. Eventually psycho you could also try "lgende" only. I'm using Partial string matching so this could work. Test it please.

Edited by MadBoy

• 4 weeks later...

Hello....

Below should work without any issues. I have tested it.

Click Start, right-click Computer, and then click Properties.

On the System Properties dialog box, click the Hardware tab, and then click Windows Update.

Select Never check for drivers when I connect a device.

Somehow if it can be achieved by your exe doing same as set registry path, then your problem is over.

i have tried http://www.pctools.com/guides/registry/detail/1217/ with no luck.

Regards

Hari

Sorry... further trial and error reveals that it can achieved by creating below entries.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DriverSearching]

"DontSearchWindowsUpdate"=dword:00000001

"DontPromptForWindowsUpdate"=dword:00000001

if you can add this to your program before the wizard pop up it should be fine. Then set it back to its original value same as you set registry path.

Hope this might be a solution.

Regards

Hari

Sorry for the late response, I was very busy in the past weeks.

But, I think I have success with your latest pro-s_test.exe :D The following windows appear when the script is run:

pro-s_test.exe "Wizard Hardware toevoegen" "lgende" Annuleren

1 FOUND WINDOW

1 FOUND NEXT

Found New Hardware scans for devices...

1 FOUND NEXT

1 FOUND NEXT

1 FOUND FINISH

Found New Hardware terminated...

1 STOP

Found New Hardware starts again and scans and stops at the question if the hardware is connected

So, what can you say about these results, is the problem now resolved? :) And could this fix be in your next release?

Edited by pSycho-Y2K

Yes, the problem was with & which underlines a letter and makes it active in that Hardware Window (and in any other window). In my english version i think N was underlined so it means &Next was the text to search for but since i used partial matching having Next was good for me. However in your case Volgende had O or other letter underlined which means the & was between V and O like that: V&olgende. For the partial matching to work you had to skip the beggining to get rid of & and it worked :) Hope you understand my gibberish.

Anyways I think i'll fix that in new version so when it starts matching it will remove any & before trying to match text. Thanks to that there would be no need to think about it when setting this up.

I'm glad it works ;)