.org Domain Names

I'm looking into buying a .org domain name to create a web site which will be mostly used for advertisement for weddings in the beginning. Reverend services and such, but at some point I would also like to incorporate another business avenues which will be used for online profit and not just as advertisement. Is it 'legal' to have a .org domain name that will produce revenue as well as be used for other on profit advertisements? Thanks for any help.

If your making money out of the website, it should not have the .org domain name.

I can't say much more about this cause I really dont know. But maybe going with a .com should be the best.

P.S: Go with Dreamhost ;)

So if I'll be making money from the site I can't legally have the .org domain name? The .com eqivalent of what I want is taken. Also, about the Dreamhost... when I goto the site name I want @ .org it says I can buy it from GoDaddy... are they a good hosting company?

Well, about the legal part of it, I really cant help you. I had my site with a .com for many years, one day I had problems with my Hostin company and changed it to Dreamhost, there, I wanted to change to a .org domain and did it. I currently have my site with a .org without any problems.

I dont think legal issues are relevant to domain names, for example, the popular security/cryptographer Bruce Schneier has his site with a .com, and the site is only used as as Personal Webpage.

As for Dreamhost, I am very happy with them. I currently have the Shared Web Hosting (no need for a Dedicated Server) and I'm really happy.

The company is growing allot, and everything (hardware) is changing to better on their datacenter.

As for domain registration, GoDaddy problably already has that domain name registered, since I just tryed to register a new domain and worked great.

P.S: Still about Dreamhost, their "Control Panel", where you manage everything about your hosting (DB, Installations, Updates, DNS, Mail, etc) is really god and easy to use.

The only TLDs that are really regulated seem to be edu and mil. My main work is registered under .org, .net, and .com and it's a government organization. I just went ahead and got all three to keep others out. I had wanted to get .us but at the time, it wasn't available and .gov would have involved months of red tape (hence the government part of it :P ).

I think the the TLD assignments are most a guide really. Most people associate .com with a commercial entity and .org with a non-profit of some sort.

I don't think that you would, however if you want to make money off of it, you should seriously consider finding an appropriate .com domain name. If the name you want is already taken by someone and you go register the .org version of that name, you'll end up having a lot of folks going to the .com accidentally.

Some people just don't listen so carefully, so if in passing you say go to my web site makemoney.org, they make just hear .com or just out of habit type in .com. This ended up happening to someone I know and he later went through a lot of grief notifying people that he had changed it.