Setting a password to a user account

if I set the password on Win2k3 server for user BILL which has ADMIN priviligies I am no longer able to access the SERVERS network drive thru LAN. Because when I try to connect from a client Win2k + gugelmayer SP4 it asks me for a password, and then I type in the correct username and password but it will always say that the password / username is invalid. But the pass/user is 101% correct. And yes I checked the caps lock.

So for now Ive disabled the password on the user BILL.

ps. On Win2k3 the ADMIN account has password.

When it asks you for the username, try prepending the domainname...

DOMAINNAME\USERNAME

Sometimes windows tries to authenticate with a local machine account which is technically this...

MACHINENAME\USERNAME

Also check the event log - the Security section.

-John

Edited by jftuga

When it asks you for the username, try prepending the domainname...

DOMAINNAME\USERNAME

Sometimes windows tries to authenticate with a local machine account which is technically this...

MACHINENAME\USERNAME

Also check the event log - the Security section.

-John

didnt help.

but I fixed the problem. Had to restart the WORKGROUP service on client machines. Apperantly they keep credentials and when U change the passwords of one of the remote computers the credentials dont match and thus the need to restart WORKSTATION service to erase the cache.

Correct me if I am wrong

ps. I found about the fix because I could easily access network drivers thru linux. So I knew there was something wrong with Windows XP/2000

Edited by BigDaddy

Is this a domain or workgroup environment?

Sounds like it's a workgroup environment...although I have no idea why that would be done when he already has the server OS to create a domain. :)

yes its a workgroup environment. I thinking of switching to DOMAIN but I have no clue how could that be done. Are there any guides??

ps. what would be the advantage of using DOMAIN vs WORKGROUP for this kind of network:

network.jpg