Hello

There are lithuanian characters.

On the winnt.sif i wrote

[UserData]
FullName=ąčęėįšųūž

After install i got this

Registered to:
ÓĶµļß­°¹

Is it possible to write non-english characters in winnt.sif that they stay after install ? :unsure: I tried text with editors like Notepad++ or ConTEXT convert text in winnt.sif into unicode, but then windows setup could not recognize winnt.sif at all. Maybe i did something wrong :(

Maybe with the same method as french characters : use the command prompt to ECHO them in a file, and copy/paste the result.

example to get the character that will represent the french "é" (it's a coma, but not the one on the keyboard) :

start > run > cmd

ECHO é>temp.txt
notepad temp.txt

**** stupid codepages...

You can also try to convert them, but not in Unicode, in OEM.

Looks like both methods are right (dont try to install windows xp, just try on cmd). And which text tool do you use to convert ANSI to OEM? I found xint.

Thank you, Delprat

Edited by laura

I've never tried putting bizarre characters in for registration. I'm not sure if the installation actually supports characters outside of what my keyboard provides, but I bet it's possible. Go to a command prompt and type edit. That text editor should take care of any registration anomalies present after installation. Open the saved result in a text editor like notepad and copy it to WINNT.SIF.

And which text tool do you use to convert ANSI to OEM? I found xint.

I edit my scripts with Notepad2 instead of notepad. I think it's a favorite on this site. Anyway, it has a convenient "convert -> OEM' function.

It's not for the whole file, tho. You need first to select the text you want to convert (it took me a few minutes to understand that). :w00t:

FullName=ąčęėįšųūž
That can't be your name!?! How would you say it? ;)

Anyway, as an accent artist, I'm baffled by these letters. I'll put them in my collection :P

EDIT: my name in winnt.sif has 2 accents (éô) BUT winnt.sif is in plain ANSI and it works fine.

I'd say that maybe your letters have no single byte (ASCII, ANSI or whatever) codes (mine have B)).

That's why you would need double byte (unicode).

And you say that windows setup can't stand a unicode version of winnt.sif...

If I'm right, it looks like you may have to go arround by hacking the registry afterward...

Edited by Djé

Looks like my problem is not convert text from winnt.sif to oem or unicode. I think windows setup at the moment of winnt.sif interpretive use english locale though i have indicate RegionalSettings:

[RegionalSettings]
LanguageGroup=3,5,1
Language=00000427
InputLocale_DefaultUser=0409:00000409
SystemLocale=00000427
UserLocale=00000427
UserLocale_DefaultUser=00000427

Are these points are correct ? I just need that windows setup reads correct lithuanian characters from winnt.sif :P

I don't know if your values are correct or not (I'd say yes !) but anyway, they come too late to change anything to how setup parses winnt.sif, because they are inside it.

I wouldn't be surprised if, as you said, setup only knows how to parse ANSI winnt.sif. You said previously that unicode versions of it broke the setup process (did you try UTF-8?).

Is there any info about that in ref.chm?

A way to work this issue arround would be to set your name directly in the registry at a later point in the installation:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion]
RegisteredOwner="ąčęėįšųūž"