MSN 6.0!

zekoeN

:) He got the download from the official msn beta release site, there was one specifically for windows 98.

Thanks for that link xx but thats the one I already have :rolleyes: it downloads for him, then crashes during sign up.

oh well..i will let him know. Thanks for the help peeps :D

hello im new here. i first visited this site when i found a link on another site for the msn 6 download. like a few of u on here i got the update message today and since accepting that my msn no longer works. i thought id come back here and see if any of u guys could shed any light on the matter. by the way im runnin windows me :)

any help much appreciated

kerry

What build is it? (Help > About MSN Messenger)

If its lower than Version 6.0 (6.0.0268) then uninstall it via Add/Remove in Control Panel, then install the newer build 0268 for Windows 98/ME at this link: http://g.msn.com/7MEEN_US/PREVIEW/EN/SETUP9X.EXE

We believe that users who have updated over their older versions is causing the 'sign in freeze'. So uninstalling an old version and then installing a new version should ensure a clean install without problems :)

:rolleyes: sorry, doesnt work. Just went through all that with my friend, he fully removed his old messenger, then reinstalled from the link. It still hangs during sign in :)

MSN have replied again and said they are fowarding the problem on to the correct team....hopefully someone will come up with a soloution lol.

Thanks again for trying. :D

ok, I dont know if this works yet But i found this information on another forum, Seems a LOT of people are having the freeze problem

My mates gone to bed...( typical as ive been working all day on this :rolleyes::D ) But this is the advice

I've had the same problem, but i found how to fix it (for me at least). The solution and problem are really odd actually.Firstly, double click the clock in the taskbar. If it shows that the year or date are off (mine was july 2001) simply change them back to the current date and voila! It works! That seems to have fixed it for me and some other people. Go figure.

Anyone have any idea why it does this (screwing up the date) or is it just a random bug?

Further down, there was this advice, pretty much the same thing, but apparantly it does work.

Go to www.passport.com  On the right hand side under members - choose "view or edit profile" Ensure that your timezone and age are correctly entered and everything else is filled in (fake or real they don't care). update it and then try resigning in...

Good Luck

Good Luck 

I hope that works for the others here who have the same problem as my friend. I wont know till tommorrow now! grrr men lol :)

Nite all x :D Im shattered now lol

lol..it didnt work. But i persevered and now have found the soloution.

I dont take credit for this. I only know its worked for my mate and he now loves me lol.

Hey OMG after searching on the net for solutions to this problem, I've found one! Well this works for Windows ME but it might work for you also. I'll just copy and paste what some dude wrote from another message board. NOTE: I did NOT come up with this, nor am i taking credit

Ok, heres what to do. Uninstall any versions of MSN5 and MSN6 you may have

tried to install.

This procedure involves editing the registry, do so at your own risk, and

only if you feel confident doing so.

Start the registry editor by clicking Start, then Run, enter "regedit" and

click OK.

Then go to (they look like small folders) My

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger.

Click the 'MSNMessenger' key (which again, looks like a folder), then go to

the Edit menu, and then choose Delete.

Say "Yes" to confirm the operation. Then re-install MSN Messenger 6.

Good luck and cheers,

Michael Robinson,

SYDNEY, AU.

END QUOTE

I talked my friend through it using yahoo...he signed back into msn after reinstalling. No probs. Dont try it unless ur sure you know what your doing tho.... :)

2 friends of mine have experience a problem like this, they both have xp, as do i. i have no problem, but both my friends get to the sign in part and i just says msn can be reached. Ill tell them that solution, and if it works for the one whos experience with changing directories, ill talk the other one through it.

hmm I dont know....weird. I have gone through that soloution with all my mates using 98 or ME...and it works for every single one of em. I will have a look round and see what other problems there are for xp users.

lol..it didnt work.  But i persevered and now have found the soloution.

I dont take credit for this.  I only know its worked for my mate and he now loves me lol. 

Hey OMG  after searching on the net for solutions to this problem, I've found one! Well this works for Windows ME but it might work for you also. I'll just copy and paste what some dude wrote from another message board. NOTE: I did NOT come up with this, nor am i taking credit

Ok, heres what to do. Uninstall any versions of MSN5 and MSN6 you may have

tried to install.

This procedure involves editing the registry, do so at your own risk, and

only if you feel confident doing so.

Start the registry editor by clicking Start, then Run, enter "regedit" and

click OK.

Then go to (they look like small folders) My

Click the 'MSNMessenger' key (which again, looks like a folder), then go to

the Edit menu, and then choose Delete.

Say "Yes" to confirm the operation. Then re-install MSN Messenger 6.

Good luck and cheers,

Michael Robinson,

SYDNEY, AU.

END QUOTE

I talked my friend through it using yahoo...he signed back into msn after reinstalling. No probs.  Dont try it unless ur sure you know what your doing tho.... :D

hiya!

I am experiencin the same problem with the freezing, n I am tryin to run the above, but I cant find the file: My

Although I can c the My

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER

was wondering if Im being thick or if there's another alternative? I've tried the previous methods to fix it too but no luck! n I can't even log on msn 5.0 to chat :)

Sue x :rolleyes: