Windows Live Mail Desktop Beta

alsiladka

Source

The feature list below will show the feature evolution between Windows XP's Outlook Express, Windows Vista's Windows Mail, and Windows Live Mail Desktop.

wldm%20comparison%20table.jpg

RSS

The new RSS feature is one I use often. Different people like to read RSS in different ways. Internet Explorer v7 (download here) has a new innovative way to switch from a web site to its RSS feed. Their approach is innovative and will build a following. My personal preference is for Windows Live Mail Desktop Beta's traditional model using folders, read/unread list, and a preview pane. Here is what is possible in the RSS feature of Windows Live Mail Desktop Beta:

• When I see a blog entry I like, I can click "forward" and email it to my friend.
  • I can click "Reply" and let the blog author know what I think about that post. Reply is invaluable in email, why not have it for blogs?
  • Quick Search Box: There is a box in the top of the email client. As you type, the list of messages are filtered so only the messages that include the search text are shown. For RSS this will search the title and blog description.
  • Map feeds to folders: Windows Live Mail Desktop allows you to map several feeds to a single folder if you want. This is a great way to reduce the number of folders to eliminate scrolling. Separate folders often aren't needed for feeds that receive posts infrequently.
  • Traditional support: All of the features you expect from most RSS readers, including drag & drop to folders, read/unread, folders to organize subscriptions.
  • Blog It!: This is a very cool feature. Vlada on our team worked on this feature and she will tell you all about it soon.

Blog sites should supply the email address and names in their RSS feed if they would like the reply by email feature to fill in the "TO:" line when the user clicks Reply. ArsTechnica on feedburner.com is a good example of a compatible feed. We use the Internet Explorer v7 RSS platform which normalizes the blog XML.

Got this from liveside and the Official Space. Man we are gonna be bombarded upon with innovative email products. Now that the Web mails have taken a step further , i Wonder how further these desktop mail clients shall have to leap in order to get people hooked onto them :whistle:

What say?