Cakewalk Pyro 2004 quit working

I have had this software for a while and it worked perfectly until last week when it would no longer play a file that I know is there. I have contacted Cakewalk and they put me through a series of steps that have not worked, like uninstall, clean uninstall and reinstall. I have downloaded all the updates available and their last suggestion is that I reinstall Windows 98SE. Any suggestions? I also have Nero 6 and it works fine.

you might try this. High light the file,hold down the shift key,right click the file,go down to open with, pick the program you want to open this type of file. You cantry this before you put a check to always open with. do you get any error when trying to play a file.

Might look at this.

http://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Lessons/WindowsMixer.asp

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=84588

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-...3226775-2968700

Edited by charles__

I have to believe the problem is not with Cakewalk, it's with Windows 98 and somehow it got corrupted and I would like to know if there is a 'fix' for this, or maybe a way to find the glitch without a radical thing like uninstalling and reinstalling W98. I am not all that good with computers and I am afraid I would totally screw this up without help. If I hired a tech, the price might be more than what this PC is worth. (HP Pavilion 6630)

I think you should explain your problem more precisely.

Why do you mean by :

it would no longer play a file that I know is there

Can you explain more what goes on ?

If you don't explain better you won't get any better answer than what Cakewalk support gave you.

Especially that they know the app you are speaking about and we don't.

When I open Pyro to make a CD, I can click on a file, mp3 or WAV, to play, I get the message : "Pyro could not play this file, please make sure this file is not in use." If I bring a file into the record box and attempt to record, I get this message : "Pyro could not create a CD image file. Please make sure your Pyro temporary folder contains enough space."

I gave this to Cakewalk and they gave me instructions on uninstalling and reinstalling and I cannot get it to work. I have to emphasize that I am not all that good with computers so if there is something simple I am missing, I would appreciate your help.

Thank you.

Edited by John O

Apparently Pyro has got a problem with accessing properly the filesystem. It says it can't read or write files.

Maybe a dependency problem or a filesytem driver problem.

Did you install anything recently ?

Prior to the problem, I cannot recall anything new. Subsequent to this, I did install Nero 6 again. Something happened last week to the computer and I got some unrelated error messages and I did a Scandisc and a defrag, but that's about all. I am not sure of the glitch, and I suppose it is still there. One error message was a Glj5152 and a GljF4 before that, during the attempt to reinstall Pyro. The software went ahead and installed. I have no clue as to what these errors mean.

Something happened last week to the computer and I got some unrelated error messages and I did a Scandisc and a defrag, but that's about all.

That's where all your problems come from obviously.

What happened to the computer last week ?

What were the error messages unrelated to ?

Or do you mean the problem happened after the problem with Pyro ?

Anyway reinstalling windows on top of itself should solve your problem I would believe.

Before doing that you may want to try to install Gape's Unofficial service pack for Win98SE. It could possibly sort you out.

Edited by eidenk

To be perfectly honest I don't recall doing anything or even downloading anything last week. The Pyro software suddenly quit working properly. The two errors I mentioned in my previous post in this thread appeared during different attempts to reinstall Cakewalk Pyro. They came on, I clicked OK and the install resumed normally. As I wrote I have no clue what those two errors mean. I did a Google search and came up with nothing.

I have unstalled the unofficial service pack last year. (W98SE 2.1a)

Are you suggesting that I start all over and uninstall and reinstall the OEM software that came with the PC? I have the HP recovery disc if that's what you are referring to. I suppose first I would have to make a back up CD with the things I added on since this was new?

Before I did a reinstall of the OS I would uninstall Cakewalk,go to start,programs,windows explore,go down to programs and remove any folder left behind by cakewalk uninstall. I would download regcleaner and install.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download460.html

Reboot pc,run recleaner to remove old reg entrys left behind by unstall of program. Do a search on pc for anything that is related to this program.Alot of times when you uninstall a program it will leave behing a backup of settings so just uninstalling the program will not fix a problem. I would also go to windows temp folder and remove anything that is there. Reboot to safe mode, go to the device manager, remove the cdrw from the list reboot and windows will reinstall it. You might also reboot back to safe mode and remove the sound card in device manager and reboot back to windows. Have you ran spybot or adaware or check the system for any virus? When you run regcleaner there will be a software list,look for anything that points to cakewalk and remove.After I got the syatem clean up then I would reinstall the program

Edited by charles__