[Guide] How to install the Zen Micro Photo

Dobby

I've been playing around trying to install the Zen software without having to resort to installation of Media Player 10 which I can't do because it tells me it's already got the latest version (probably something to do with the TTPack). Anyway, I had some troubles getting the right configuration and ordering and so thought other people may benefit from what I found.

So here it is, how to install Zen software without WMP10 installed plus some other useful tips.

Requirements (I'm assuming you don't want that crappy Creative Media Source software):

From the Creative CD:

• \CTShared
  • \MTP
  • \Disk.id
  • \Wmp10\Setup

In the \Wmp10\Setup are the Windows Media 10 Core files which include the very important MTP drivers. Note this is not Windows Media Player 10 itself.

This setup has the advantage of not taking 500MB of space (ok it's still 80MB but you can probably trim this further by removing some of the language CABs). It also stops that annoying registration dialog popping up after reboot.

You'll also need a silent install configuration file for InstallShield which I've included in this post. This is configured to install Zen Media Explorer and Toolbox but not the guide. If you want to install the guide then you'll need to create your own .ISS file and include the \Manual folder from CD.

From the K-Sphere website:

Now, the TTPack is a godsend. The simplist codec pack containing WMP10 (hangon, we have that already?! Oh well), Real player, Quicktime and FFDshow for everything else.

Ok, install time:

1. Install WMP 10 core - command: \Wmp10\Setup\Setup.exe -s
  2. Reboot
  3. Install Zen Software - Make sure setup.iss is in \MTP\Setup folder - command: \MTP\Setup\Setup -s
  4. Install TTPack - command TTPack

That's it! Simple when you know how. I guess you could skip step 3 if you're using Winamp 5.2 which has builtin support for MTP players but I've not tested this on a clean install. I'll probably use the Explorer until I get my ID3tags sorted out and have played a bit more with the Winamp plugin. Looks promising though.

setup.iss

Edited by Dobby

• 5 months later...

• 8 months later...

If you just want the Explorer (like me), just have the CTShared and MTP\Explorer folders. So size should be alot smaller. But I just can't seem to get the silent installer to work.

I've also copied the ISS file beforehand to C:\Windows and it still doesn't work :/

Installshield sure is a pain. Any tips on the best way to get this silently installed?

Edited by darksavior

• 2 months later...

For some reason I didn't get notified for replies to this post so sorry for not replying earlier (I just did a Google search and turned this up!).

If I remember the ISS file needs to be either in the same location as the setup you are running or you can specify it's location for example:

Setup.exe /s /f1"C:\Temp\Setup.iss"

I don't have my Zen anymore as my Sony Ericsson has a 4GB MP3 player on it and it just works as a USB device. Hurrah! TTPack is still handy though.