Home network printer.

Sparky1

Hi guys,

I’ve got this network at home and have a D-Link 704p router with an HP business 1200d hooked up to the router via the DB25. Now D-Link has a software utility that makes one of you machines a print server. I have used the software and share the printer from the computer and can print from my other windows systems via the shared printer. My question is a 2 parter really,

1) Is there a better way to set up the printer through the add printer wizard in windows?

I have Windows 2000 pro, Windows 2000 server and Windows XP pro. I would like each machine to be able to print without one or the other having to be on.

2) My wife sometimes works from home, but her laptop (Windows XP pro) is bound to a domain at work and I would like for her to be able to use the printer. I have gone through the set up a new printer utility and have tried all the configs I could think of even creating custom ports. I can't get the printer to print. If I install the printer server software on here system it disables my other computers from printing.

In Linux I just configure cups and set the print server IP to my routers IP and set up a printer queue. No third party software needed.

Thanks for your help. :)

http://www.hamachi.cc/download

this program will creat a simple vpn so that u can connect your wife laptop and your home pc together. it will be just like ur on a home network so it shouldnt be hard at all.

I appreciate the reply, but I was looking for a solution from within Windows. I was really hoping to connect via TCP/IP or something. I don't think that Windows has the ability to connect a printer like linux can. It's really frustrating.

In Linux I just configure cups and set the print server IP to my routers IP and set up a printer queue. No third party software needed.

In windows you also could print directly to an IP, just install the printerdrivers on the PCs and go. I just googled a bit for you and found an example: http://www.wellesley.edu/Computing/WinXP/printing.html

It should work, I had the same router here before ;).