[Help] device not installing

lamaq

I recently installed a USB infra-red device on my pc. During the driver installation there was a crash and I had to uninstall the device by removing it from the hardware profile. Now when I plug the usb device in to reinstall it isn't picked up by Windows. I've checked that the device is still working. Anyone know why windows won't pick the device?

Title edited -- Please, use [TAGS] in your topic's title.

Please follow XP Forum Rules from now on.

--Sonic

I found this @ Microsoft:

USB devices based on earlier versions of the USB specification may create ghost devices that appear when the device is connected, and then disappear when the device is disconnected. Also, the device may work just fine, but may create a disassociated unknown device, which is typically caused by either outdated or incorrectly configured firmware. In this case, contact the device manufacturer for updated firmware.

A ghosted device can appear if you manually install a driver for a Plug and Play device that the computer has already detected and installed. You can resolve this issue by deleting the ghosted device.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks for the reply. I have already deleted the device from device manager which is why I'm a bit stumped. I doubt there is any firmware for the device so i'm really looking for a Windows solution. Are there any registry entires that could be deleted?

Yes, I want to see the hardware wizard popup when I plug in the usb device but nothing happens. I found an article on delting past USB devices from the registry but still nothing happens.