AMD Athlon XP1700+

fozzy2k

Can any one tell me the normall temp of the AMD athlon XP1700+. And im running the NFS-7 motherboard and can some body explain how to over clock them with out the PC not starting back up, i think theres a problem getting the steping right. Thanx.

normal temp depends on your ambient room temp, case, case cooling, and what you are using to cool the cpu (stock heatsink from amd? water cooling?)

id say any where from 35c to 50c could be considered "normal", depending on the above.

can some body explain how to over clock them with out the PC not starting back up

that could be many things :)

are you trying to go from 1.47 straight to 2.00ghz?

the key to overclocking is going slowly. drop your multiplier down to 8. then,SLOWLY, start raising your fsb. depending on what kind and speed of your ram, you'll find the limit. the computer just wont post at that point. you can try adding voltage to the ram, or relaxing the timings to try to get more out of it.

once you find a stable fsb speed you can start upping the multiplier. once it wont post, try raising the vcore to get it more stable. but be forewarned, raising voltage adds heat and too much can possibly fry your cpu.

also make sure you have a very good cooling solution for your cpu.

these are just general instructions.. there is alot more to it than just what i said above. try reading some of the boards at futuremark or try reading this thread at amdmb.com. some pretty good links in the amdmb thread...

lastly, be careful when playing with the BIOS on that board. nforce2 boards corrupt the cmos pretty easily if you go tearing thru the bios making too many changes at once.

i have had 4 nforce2 boards, and i havent corrupted one yet. i only make one or two changes at a time, hit F10 to save.. WAIT like 3 or 4 seconds before i hit enter to confirm the save and exit.

good luck!