Geforce 7800 GTX, GT reaches end of life

Aegis

NVIDIA partners made their last G70 orders and have had their last chunk of Geforce 7800 GTX 512, 256 and 7800 GT cards. Those cards will be available in retail as long as supplies last and it is clear that Nvidia and its partners want to clear the inventory. This certainly means that Nvidia is about to start shipping its faster G71 based products.

It has Geforce 7900 GTX as the flagship card and it also has less expensive 7900 GT card and there is no space for the mutual coexistence with the 7800 GTX and GT. The new cards ought to be faster than the previous one and, more than likely, even cheaper.

Geforce 7800 GTX 256 and certainly Geforce 7800 GT are great cards, available, priced more or less reasonably and made quite a good reputation very quickly, so we have to say good bye to them.

Source: http://theinquirer.net/?article=29799

Well guess my card's already obsolete :(.

somehow i dought that they are stoping production of thos cards, they still preform great and probably are still selling realy well.

i think it would be a little akword have only 7900's but if nvidia feels that strongly about it, i better see some great preformance from it!

just about the only thing 90mm should do is reduce power consumption, it would also make more yeilds posible but this is canceled out buy the fact that they need all new machinery to make the chips.

it dose not give a preformance increase buy just that the fact that they can put more transistors on the chip

AFAIK the G71 is going to be tweaked a bit. But the initial looks that many hardware sites are providing is that the performance has not gone up...not by much at least...and ATI 1900s will prob still be #1. What IS of more interest though is the price for the cards which are supposedly for the top end @ $499 which is a steal IMO considering the recent prices we have seen. Also the fact that Quad SLI or should I say TRUE quad sli is coming out this March as well....so ppl can buy 4 g71 cards and slap em on and go look I saved money and now I have 4 x SLI as well!

i dont see why they would stop production of the 7800series. they are still producing 6800 and 6600 and even worse, so why would they do it only to the 7800? and the 90mm core is just a start, it will give us more oportunities in the future. they will run with less power and COOLER. the 7800gtx gets into the 80's C with stock cooler. the new ATI x1900 will get over 90C.

That would cut into their profits. The 7800GT is ~$100 less than the 7800GTX. Since the 7900GT is equivalent in price to it, and will cost $300, then the 7800GT will cost only $200!!! And the 6800GS costs $100 less than the 7800GT, so it's new price is only $100. And so on...:D