[Question] - Virtual Floppy Drive

eyeball

Hi all

i have a RIS server setup and i was going to test it by deploying XP to a virtual machine.... unfortunatly the VM does not have the ability to use a boot PXE so i have to boot from a floppy.

however i dont have a floppy drive in my system so now im stuck my idea is this...

can i install a virtual floppy drive on the RIS server,

create the floppy using the virtual drive

and then create a bootable cd out of this floppy image? (i know this can be done with win 98 boot discs)

if anyone has done this or knows how it can be done please share your knowledge!

many thanks

Title Edited - Please follow new posting rules from now on.

--Zxian

Edited by Zxian

believe me i have been 'googling' for around 45 minutes now, and if all else fails ill use vmware (using microsoft atm)

i seem to have almost found a workaround for this... im using a virtual floppy drive and an image but the server refuses to create an image on the B drive, so atm im rebooting the server (takes forever lol) and im gonna disable the A: drive in the bios and see if i can get a virtual floppy to be assigned the A drive letter, ill post once im done and let u know how it goes

thanks

that worked! i disabled both floppies in BIOS and the virtual floppy was given the A: drive letter

it contains only one file after running rfbg.exe its called "RISDISK" ill post again if i manage to make a bootable cd from this :)

yeah thats what i used :) thanks, im now trying to make a bootable cdrom from a floppy drive.... just followed one method and it didnt work, going to find another now.

thanks for the help :)

EDIT: iv done it.

open up nero and select boot cd and then make sure that A: is the boot drive selected, press new and then drag the contents of A: to the image/cd you are going to create, hey presto! a bootable cd for use with a RIS server :)

Edited by eyeball