Windows Defender

Churnd

So I installed Windows Defender in place of MSAS, and tinkered with it a little. The first time, I didn't bother to uninstall MSAS, and installed Defender in it's place. I noticed Defender's icon disappeared after it finished updating, so I thought maybe it was a bug due to not removing MSAS first. So I uninstalled everything, then re-installed Defender. Now it won't update itself, because it thinks that it's already updated for some reason. I suspect there's some registry setting that's telling Defender it's updated when it's not. I don't know where to begin to look for that though. Any help greatly appreciated!!! :)

For one , Defender does not have any tray icons. It shall run in the background. So do not worry.

From the start menu , Run defender .

See what the home page says. If it says everythngs well , well believe it.

But for your satisfaction ,

1. From the Top most menu , the drop down menu besides the Question mark , click about Windows Defender. You wil find the chek for update button there. Click it and see for yourself.

2. Windows update or Microsoft update!!! It shall update windows defender if any update is out there.

Plus just to see if everything is working fine ,

Check your task manager for these 2 processes.

1.MSASCui.exe

2.MsMpeng.exe

these are the two files Defender runs.

Everything is saying that it's up to date. However, the program itself thinks it isn't. Can you verify these signatures for me?

Windows Defender Version: 1.1.1051.0

Engine Version: 1.1.1185.0

Signature Version: 1.0.0.0

On the home screen in Defender, it's giving me that warning "Windows Defender hasn't been updated in 21 days", and below that it's saying the signature version is 1.0.0.0 from 1/25/2006. Microsoft Update is turning up nothing, as well as the "About Windows Defender" update method.

Edited by Churnd

Well i read about this one some other forum. Many people reported this problem too!!!

Windows Defender Version: 1.1.1051.0

Engine Version: 1.1.1185.0

Signature Version: 1.13.1272.4

These are the current version. I would recommend uninstalling it once .

Reinstall.On the home screen itself there should be an update button if it says the definitions are old.

If it does not work , then i guess it is a bug because even others have reported it!!!

Well, Auto-Update just notified me that I had an update for Defender, and sure enough, that took care of the problem. However, now it's saying that I haven't scanned before, which I have, but I don't care as long as it's updated. :)