XP Pro for my Laptop

Madferraristi

I have an older IBM Laptop that currently runs with W98-SE. New software requires that I upgrade the operating system. I have an extra copy of both W2000 and XP Pro.

I prefer the XP but since this is an older Laptop at only 750MHz would I be better off only stepping up to W2000?

Additionally, I would prefer not to have to start from scratch with a re-formatted hard drive, in this sense, which one would be preferable?

if you have 128mb system memory, xp will run on it no probs.

maybe see if u can upgrade your laptop memory? goto crucial.com, thry can do a scan on ur system and tell you wat you can upgrade to, very useful tool, and safe. :)

if you have 128mb system memory, xp will run on it no probs.

maybe see if u can upgrade your laptop memory? goto crucial.com, thry can do a scan on ur system and tell you wat you can upgrade to, very useful tool, and safe. :)

Maleko's suggestion is wise.... the ram upgrade will make a huge difference.

Also do some serious digging for information if crucial says your laptop's ram is maxed out. I've found that (sometimes) you can actually add more ram than is listed as the max.

I assume this is becuase of my little example here:

My laptop was made when 128mb was the largest module. There are two slots. Everyone lists 256mb is the most I can add. Clearly today >256mb modules are available, so I should be able to upgrade to at least 512mb.

Also (if you have some extra $$$) try getting a higher RPM hard drive, with more cache RAM. I saw it really speed up a 500MHz tower system. (I understand HD selection isn't that big for laptops, but give it a try).

Finally to answer your question. XP on a properly configured system will run rings around 2k.

I just make sure to set "Best Performance" in a burried property setting. :D

It'll be slower than 98se for sure... but if software needs it then you'll have to... a dual-boot is what I'd use in this case. You don't need to reformat the HDD, just resize the existing partition and create another, then install XP to that partition.

As for the system requirements, it'll run decently. The system requirements lists a Pentium 233MMX and 64Mb of RAM as the lowest recommended, with PII-400 and 128Mb as "minimum optimal".

Edited by LLXX

I would upgrade the laptop if it is possible and stick XP Pro on it. I would upgrade the hard drive to a 100 gig 7200 rpm if your laptop surpports it and stick as much RAM as your laptop can handle as well. The performance difference you will notice is staggering. If you are happy and you want to go a step ahead then grab nLite and tweak your XP install further.