WMI9x.exe

nrupesh

Anyone found how to extract the files from the WMI9X.EXE package?

If, like here, first extraction doesn't work with 7-zip you can use Reshacker instead to extract wbemcore.exe from wmi9x.exe by saving the RCDATA/101/0 resource as binary file. Then, as per CharlotTheHarlot post, a WISE unpacker should extract from it all those WISE00xx files as indicated. You'll have to figure out what they actually are by doing some forensic examination on them. There is no other/better method I am afraid.

Sorry guys I asked the wrong question.

What I should have asked, do you know the proper command line switches to extract the files?

If someone create a inf file I can add the whole package to U98SESP3 :thumbup

Here they are.

/T test mode

/X pathname extracts files into pathname

/Z pathname extracts files into pathname and reboots

/S silent install

/M prompts for windows, system, temp dirs

/M=filename specifies a value file similar to /d above,

but for standard variables

/M1 same as /m plus it prompts before any file that is self-registered

/M2 reserved for internal use by Wise during debugger sessions

I am not sure where you found those switches but they seem rather self explanatory.

Be aware that not everyone likes to have WMI/WBEM installed on their machines so its install should be made optional IMO if you integrate it in the SP.

Edited by loblo

I am not sure where you found those switches but they seem rather self explanatory.

I found them here http://www.appdeploy.com/tips/detail-pf.asp?id=52

Be aware that not everyone likes to have WMI/WBEM installed on their machines so its install should be made optional IMO if you integrate it in the SP.

Of course, everything will be optional as always.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

Of course, everything will be optional as always.

IMHO, the integration of WMI into the SP is perhaps not worth the effort since I don't think it offers any desirable addition to the operating system and is even perhaps a security risk since, as far as I know, it installs a runtime that allows your hardware to be probed from a web page through scripting and wmi.exe which runs as a background app/service might well be exposing your machine hardware from being probed or worse from the network.

If someone knows better, please chime in.

WMI stands for Windows (Hardware) Management Interface and WBEM for Web Based Enterprise Management btw if I am not mistaken, and might very well be synonymous with spyware IMO.

Edited by loblo

What I should have asked, do you know the proper command line switches to extract the files?

You need to run the EXE file with the /X switch to extract the files.

For some patches it has to be done on a Win2k/XP/2k3 machine.

HTH :)

• 1 month later...

InstallWatch is the best before/after utility IMO so I would suggest you use it. It does monitor both files and registry and will keep all the before and after registry values in its database from which you can export anything as regedit 4 files, allowing you to precisely know (and eventually revert) all the installer has done.

http://www.brothersoft.com/installwatch-9407.html

As suggested you may want to back up your root dir files and windows dir (or even entire C drive) before doing it if you fear to bork it all.

I would suggest installing it on an imaged (roll-back-able) 9x test machine with a registry dump and filelist, BEFORE and AFTER.

Can someone be so kind to do this, if not point me to the tools so I can give it a shot?

I have a time constraint presently, else I would do it (err, maybe not, because I am not sure if any of my remaining Win9x systems even require the WMI9x.exe changes).

But what you could do is this (presume you have a spare HDD kicking around) ...

* Do a fresh install of Win9x onto another drive (be safe, disconnect your useable Win9x boot drive) *or* just clone your existing one.

* Save a registry export and also a filelist of the drive (DIR C:\*.* /A /S).

* Run the WMI9x.exe.

* Repeat: Save a registry export and also a filelist of the drive (DIR C:\*.* /A /S).

* Put back your normal Win9x drive and slave the other one as a D: or E: or F: ...

* WinDiff the snapshots you made.

* Collect the needed files from the slaved HDD and gather up the added registry settings from the export. NB: Besides added files and registry keys, there are other things to watch for. For example, there may be edits made to INI files (SYSTEM.INI...etc). These will show up in the WinDiff as modifications to said files in the 2nd filelist. You would then need to further WinDiff your original SYSTEM.INI (from the original drive) with the modified one on the auxillary HDD. Such changes can happen to other files as well. This is why you step carefully through the WinDiff of the filelists.

This is why it is very handy to keep a collection of Hard Drives around. You can really do almost any experiment that suits your fancy :thumbup

• 1 month later...