[Error] - My computer has a PROBLEM

tb582

If the external drive is working properly, no errors should occur...

Especially with external devices I recommend checking the cabling. They are more prone to interference than internal ones as the cables are longer and exposed.

I hate to say this, but this dump still shows a hardware error with a different stop code from before (it's now a stop 77, 0x77_c000009d:

2: kd> !analyze -v

* Bugcheck Analysis *

KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR (77)

The requested page of kernel data could not be read in. Caused by

bad block in paging file or disk controller error.

In the case when the first arguments is 0 or 1, the stack signature

in the kernel stack was not found. Again, bad hardware.

An I/O status of c000009c (STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR) or

C000016AL (STATUS_DISK_OPERATION_FAILED) normally indicates

the data could not be read from the disk due to a bad

block. Upon reboot autocheck will run and attempt to map out the bad

sector. If the status is C0000185 (STATUS_IO_DEVICE_ERROR) and the paging

file is on a SCSI disk device, then the cabling and termination should be

checked. See the knowledge base article on SCSI termination.

Arguments:

Arg1: c000009d, status code

Arg2: c000009d, i/o status code

Arg3: 00000000, page file number

Arg4: 01529000, offset into page file

Debugging Details:

------------------

ERROR_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0xc000009d - STATUS_DEVICE_NOT_CONNECTED

DISK_HARDWARE_ERROR: There was error with disk hardware

BUGCHECK_STR: 0x77_c000009d

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: DRIVER_FAULT

FOLLOWUP_NAME: ntmsd

MODULE_NAME: hardware_disk

IMAGE_NAME: hardware_disk

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 0

STACK_COMMAND: kb

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: 0x77_c000009d

BUCKET_ID: 0x77_c000009d

INTERNAL_BUCKET_URL: http://deviceweb/Bucket/Bucket.aspx?BucketID=1543

OCA_CRASHES: 3096 (in last 90 days)

Followup: ntmsd

I'm sorry, and I can't tell you why quicktime is doing it (other than it's owned by csrss.exe, and appears to be bringing csrss.exe down when it crashes, which is also VERY odd), but the system says there's a hardware error here, and I'm inclined to agree. It may be as simple as running chkdsk /f against all drives on the box, or it could be a bad cable connected to a CD or hard disk - but it's just not something I see going on in any stack in the entire dump. The only stacks I can see with issues are ones with a kernel trap or kernel lock, and these are all csrss.exe processes, which would make sense because if csrss.exe crashes, the whole box will come down.

This error can only be caused by a bad block in the page file, or it is indeed a disk controller/subsystem error. My guess is that it's a bad block in your paging file (perhaps move it to a different drive and reboot?), but it could still be the actual controller on your motherboard (or PCI IDE controller) has a problem (drivers or bad hardware). If it's a bad block in the paging file, you should consider your filesystem suspect and should chkdsk /f the drive right away. If it's a controller error, you should consider replacing the drive, the controller, or both.

Wish I had a better explanation, but I don't - the issue is the filesystem (specifically in the page file location) or the actual controller/cables/hard disk subsystem. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but dumps don't lie :(.

Edited by cluberti

I hate to say this, but this dump still shows a hardware error with a different stop code from before (it's now a stop 77, 0x77_c000009d:

I'm sorry, and I can't tell you why quicktime is doing it (other than it's owned by csrss.exe, and appears to be bringing csrss.exe down when it crashes, which is also VERY odd), but the system says there's a hardware error here, and I'm inclined to agree. It may be as simple as running chkdsk /f against all drives on the box, or it could be a bad cable connected to a CD or hard disk - but it's just not something I see going on in any stack in the entire dump. The only stacks I can see with issues are ones with a kernel trap or kernel lock, and these are all csrss.exe processes, which would make sense because if csrss.exe crashes, the whole box will come down.

This error can only be caused by a bad block in the page file, or it is indeed a disk controller/subsystem error. My guess is that it's a bad block in your paging file (perhaps move it to a different drive and reboot?), but it could still be the actual controller on your motherboard (or PCI IDE controller) has a problem (drivers or bad hardware). If it's a bad block in the paging file, you should consider your filesystem suspect and should chkdsk /f the drive right away. If it's a controller error, you should consider replacing the drive, the controller, or both.

Wish I had a better explanation, but I don't - the issue is the filesystem (specifically in the page file location) or the actual controller/cables/hard disk subsystem. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but dumps don't lie :(.

Hmm ok thanks.

I usually try to run chkdsk on all my hdd's about once every 2 weeks... I normally right click the hdd - properties- scan disk, but I'm assuming that if I restart my computer using a 98boot disk I can also run it that way on all drives? What is the proper syntax? to run chkdsk/f on all drives?

but I'm assuming that if I restart my computer using a 98boot disk I can also run it that way on all drives? What is the proper syntax? to run chkdsk/f on all drives?

If the drives are NTFS, a 98boot disk will do you no good (it can't read NTFS without 3rd party software). You would run the following command to run chkdsk in "fix" mode (the /f):

chkdsk C: /F /R

You should only do one drive at a time (and you should do it after a reboot, do not forcibly dismount any drives if prompted to do so!), and you should run this command for each hard disk volume on your system (obviously substituting the proper drive letter for C:, when appropriate).

I'm going to run chkdsk on all of my drives this weekend, I will report back probably sometime on Sunday

I'm going to run chkdsk on all of my drives this weekend, I will report back probably sometime on Sunday

Well I ran scandisk and it found no errors, but last night I left my computer on and when I got up it had restarted. The event viewer shows this message

Event Type:	Information
Event Source: USER32
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1074
Date: 2/15/2006
Time: 3:05:10 AM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: XEON800FSB
Description:
The process winlogon.exe has initiated the restart of XEON800FSB for the following reason: No title for this reason could be found
Minor Reason: 0x2
Shutdown Type: reboot
Comment:
Data:
0000: 02 00 02 80 ...

I ran chkdsk on all the drives and didn't find any problems, I'm going to assume that the system restarting was some sort of fluke thing...

BUT its the whole quicktime thing that still aggravates me...

Have you run MemTest86 and Prime95 to test the reliability of your memory and processor?

I've seen many strange reboots and errors being caused by corrupted memory or overheating CPUs.

Edited by LLXX

Have you run MemTest86 and Prime95 to test the reliability of your memory and processor?

I've seen many strange reboots and errors being caused by corrupted memory or overheating CPUs.

No but I plan on running Memtest tonight and Prime's torture test after that... any recommended settings for either? or just the standard tests?

Memtest86 loops repeatedly, so let it run overnight.

I'll run the prime stress test tonight

Prime ran for 13 Hours with no errors and no warnings.

Perhaps there is a way to scan for corrupted quicktime files? I think its just one folder on my desktop that's coming up with the quicktime error