[Info] Custom theme problem solved.

Came across a solution of a problem I have long wondered how to fix, the problem occures after editing and or applying a custom theme in Windows XP causing the background of certain applications menubar to appear white (such as notepad - see picture).

ugly3d.JPG

Please see the following URL for a guide how to resolve this issue using registry.

Link

Edited by BoardBabe

Yep, had this problem before.

It's a problem with a combination of the registry settings in the preferencesmask (fade effect, show shadown under menu's etc)

When you apply a theme and import registry settings into the preferencesmask part, from an other theme this occures.

• 1 month later...

Here is an AutoIt spell invoking that magic (see link in the first post) to heal the wounds:

RegWrite("HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop", "UserPreferencesMask", "REG_BINARY", StringReplace(RegRead("HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop", "UserPreferencesMask"),5,"07"))

It works fine at run time but I am conjecturing that for unattended installation, it won't work until SECOND reboot:

from what I understood, the breaking occurs after the theme manager loads the custom theme.

And this theme manager, AFAIK, is run for the first time only AFTER RunOnceEx is finished.

Recommended usage:

Compile and ... have it called by the second RunOnceEx from the first! :wacko:

Or test it directly in the first one. :whistle:

Edited by Djé

And here's a much lighter batch version:

FOR /F "skip=4 tokens=2*" %%G IN ('REG QUERY "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v UserPreferencesMask') DO set upm=%%H
REG add "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v UserPreferencesMask /t REG_BINARY /d %upm:~0,4%07%upm:~6% /f