NEC 4550A Help PLEASE!

smoore99

Here is the problem my NEC 4550A drive has been working fine over the last couple of months then today I switched on my PC and the Green light (on the DVD drive) just constantly stays on.

After Windows loaded I opened the drive (the green light went off) then I closed it again and the green light comes back on and stays on.

I click on "My Computer" and then click on properties for the DVD drive and guess what the computer freezes until I open the tray.

I have tried everything I can think of to stop this but when I close the tray the light comes back on like its trying to read a disc which isn't there.

I was planning to reformat my drive and start over as there are other little annoyances happening but I cant back-up anything as my DVD burner is not working!!

Please help me it’s driving me crazy!!

Thanks in advance

Edited by smoore99

try reinstalling the driver for it, otherwise it may be going

Yeah I have tried this I uninstalled it then reinstalled the driver with no success.

Also while the power was off I discounted the IDE cable but left the power plug in; I started the computer and still the green light was on.

Even if you insert a disc it doesn’t even spin

So..??

Shouldn’t be going I only had it since Christmas it’s still under warranty so I might have to send it back.

Edited by smoore99

Also while the power was off I discounted the IDE cable but left the power plug in; I started the computer and still the green light was on.
It's broken. One of the sensors must've gone faulty and making the drive think there's always a disc in there.