Partition Magic 8 - Plssss Help!

antzpompeii

Hi Everyone,

Ok - first off 'PArtition Magic & BootMagic' have instructions which i just can't seem to get right.

Second - this is what i want to do and how do i do it.

I want to build 4 Primary Partitions

Partition 1 -

I need an operating system here as it has the boot.ini file and this is what i need to start.

(Except that i want this partition to be secure and do not want the outside world to see its a C drive) is there a way to change this?????

Also would like to add encryption to my files??? - can it be done???

I have no idea on how to change this!

Partition - 2

WinXP Prof. + Programs etc. = CONNECTS TO THE INTERNET = FIREWALL/PATCHES/HOTFIXES/ANTIVIRUS

+

Extended -

DATA - Logical Partition

DOWNLOADS - Logical Partition(mainly used for all types of downloads such as limewire p2p etc.? - if this partition is infected then i can just delete and it will not affect the rest of the other partitions.... right?

Partition - 3

WinXP in case something goes terribly wrong! + BACKUPS for Norton Ghost (Will not defrag this partition)

Partition - 4

WinXP PRof + Video Editing Software & Photo software

+

VIDEO EDITING - Logical Partition

PHOTOS - Logical Partition

Is the above anyway possible?Can i enforce / manipulate the first drive letter c:/ without loosing my boot.ini file?

Can i copy boot.ini to the other partitions should one die?

How to encrypt Partition 1 with O/S WinXP Prof and its boot.ini file? can this cause me to not be able to boot?

Is there a software to install that will force the downloads to a specific partition? ie. Extended/Logical DOWNLOADS?

Does any of the above make any sense?????? Oh and by the way all of these WINXP Prof O/S that i want to add are all nlited with tweaks / patches etc.

PLSSSSSS i am in soooooo need of someone's expertise here!!!!! i've been reading and reading / installing and deleting and parititoning for the past month!!!!!!

Would really appreciate a very basic step by step guide or a solution.

Thanks

1. I think only one extended partition is allowed. So, you cannot have two extended partition: Partition - 2 and Partition - 4. Why don't you just put them together? You can still delete the "DOWNLOADS" partition anytime you want. I mean like this:

Partition - 1 [Primary]

Partition - 3 [Primary]

Partition - 2 [Extended]

- DATA [Logical]

- DOWNLOADS [Logical]

- VIDEO EDITING [Logical]

- PHOTOS [Logical]

2. Encrypt files in C:? NTFS could do that. But I never used that feature (I never need to)

Note that if you delete the username, and then recreate the same username, you still can not access the encrypted data.

3. I don't quite follow you on the drive letter issue. You want boot.ini in D:? I think set D: to active and install WinXP will do

NOTICE: I'm not an expert :( I hope what I said is right... Plz feel free to ask~

Edited by KevinMo

1. I think only one extended partition is allowed. So, you cannot have two extended partition: Partition - 2 and Partition - 4. Why don't you just put them together? You can still delete the "DOWNLOADS" partition anytime you want. I mean like this:

Partition - 1 [Primary]

Partition - 3 [Primary]

Partition - 2 [Extended]

- DATA [Logical]

- DOWNLOADS [Logical]

- VIDEO EDITING [Logical]

- PHOTOS [Logical]

2. Encrypt files in C:? NTFS could do that. But I never used that feature (I never need to)

Note that if you delete the username, and then recreate the same username, you still can not access the encrypted data.

3. I don't quite follow you on the drive letter issue. You want boot.ini in D:? I think set D: to active and install WinXP will do

NOTICE: I'm not an expert :( I hope what I said is right... Plz feel free to ask~

Thank-you soo much for replying to my post...

In respect to only having one EXTENDED partition onto multiple PRIMARY partitions - i've read a couple of posts and i'm pretty sure it can be done.

The reason i don't want to just add my VIDEO stuff there with the rest of the programs because i work with big files and i want to ensure that my o/s works to its peak when just video editing.

Definately want to keep my downloads + o/s on a different partition for the obvious reason of virus/hackers etc. = any problem and i just delete it completely without loosing valuable video / data / photos and backups.

My Norton Ghost Backups i want to create and leave it alone on a separate partition as i will not defrag this one.

The reason i want to hide my c: partition from prying eyes is because it has my boot.ini file....

(have no idea on how i can encrypt this or if there is a way of changing the drive letter through REGEDIT)

Once again thanks.... and plsssss ppl help me out here!!!!

Regards,

Antz

Yes, yes, you're right :thumbup . Sorry about that. You can put more than one extended partition. That's DOS/WIN98's limitation. However, don't run win98 then, since it might cause some trouble.

Just found this, maybe you want try it... On your own risk :P

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;EN-US;Q223188

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/249321/

Something I would say... If you just want to protect boot.ini other than some private data, then I think it's not necessary to do that. I cannot imagine a hacker could break into your system but cannot do anything because failure of reading boot.ini

BTW, you probably already know that, drive letter is flexible. It's not like this [multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)] kind of defination and could be different from OS to OS.

If I were you, I would do it like this:

WinXP (General Use) [Primary]

[Extended]

- (Data) [Logical]

- (Download) [Logical]

- (Backup) [Logical]

WinXP (Digital Processing) [Primary]

[Extended]

- (Video) [Logical]

- (Photo) [Logical]

or maybe this:

[Extended]

- (Data) [Logical]

- (Download) [Logical]

- (Video) [Logical]

- (Photo) [Logical]

Backup [Primary.Hide]

PS: Actually I'm a bit confused what's your main question here :blushing:

Regards,

Kevin

Edited by KevinMo

Yes, yes, you're right :thumbup . Sorry about that. You can put more than one extended partition. That's DOS/WIN98's limitation. However, don't run win98 then, since it might cause some trouble.

Just found this, maybe you want try it... On your own risk :P

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;EN-US;Q223188

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/249321/

Something I would say... If you just want to protect boot.ini other than some private data, then I think it's not necessary to do that. I cannot imagine a hacker could break into your system but cannot do anything because failure of reading boot.ini

BTW, you probably already know that, drive letter is flexible. It's not like this [multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)] kind of defination and could be different from OS to OS.

If I were you, I would do it like this:

[Extended]

- (Data) [Logical]

- (Download) [Logical]

- (Backup) [Logical]

[Extended]

- (Video) [Logical]

- (Photo) [Logical]

or maybe this:

[Extended]

- (Data) [Logical]

- (Download) [Logical]

- (Video) [Logical]

- (Photo) [Logical]

Backup [Primary.Hide]

PS: Actually I'm a bit confused what's your main question here :blushing:

Regards,

Kevin

Hey Kevin

thanks for that.... ok - first of all your first suggestion is exactly what i want to do. Except i read somewhere on Radified's forum that due to hackers etc. he doesn't put WinXP on C drive. I'm a bit confused about this but i'm guessing that there must be some kind of switch/tweak in the registry to force Windows to save the first operating system on another letter apart from C:

Once i get this issue resolved then i can definately do, 2 partitions with extended partitions and only use 1 primary partition to access the internet. Does this make any sense?

I've got partition magic and stuffed up my pc 6 times already! i have no idea if its capable of changing the system drive letter ie. C:

Also do you know if i do use partition magic it seems to hide one from the other... is this hiding for operation purposes or is it for prying eyes from the internet.?

Thanks

Regard,

Antz

NB: Just read the MS Article - sounds a bit risky but that must be the way.... (i've also created a reatogo cd) so hopefully if i run into any problems i can get it back.) = i should do a bit of reading into CCLeaner as well... as i think that might also help me here

Edited by antzpompeii

No, no, have you tried my first suggestion - "set D: to active and install WinXP"?

PS: Don't do the long quote again :P

Hi,

Sorry it took a while to get back to you.,,,, i have a 5 mth old daughter to also take care off!!!!

Anyways, nope definately WinXP will be installed on C drive as i tried D and it does not work.

Any other suggestions! i sooooo wana finish with this.

Plsssss

Regards,

Antz

I wish I have a daughter to take care of, hehe

Yes, I confirmed. Then XP will be installed on 2nd partition, but in XP it's still called C: :no:

Maybe you have to use the way in that M$ article.

Sorry I cannot help~

I wish I have a daughter to take care of, hehe

Yes, I confirmed. Then XP will be installed on 2nd partition, but in XP it's still called C: :no:

Maybe you have to use the way in that M$ article.

Sorry I cannot help~

Hi Kevin

Thanks sooo much for trying to help.... i hope someone else can now give me some guidance here.

Its nice to see ppl like you in these forums spending their time and using their knowledge to help others.

If only the whole world outside would be like this! 'A much happier Place I think' :thumbup

I'm not familar with Paritition Magic, but using Acronis Disk Manager/Boot Loader I have the following set-up.

XP Home Install

C:\ Has Windows on it, along with prog files and boot files. (Primary, Active)

M:\ Is my FAT32 partition with all my media files (Logical)

R:\ Is my WinXP recovery install - this is invisible, and can be made (in)visible from Acronis (Primary, Hidden)

I say it is R, but only for ease of naming.

XP Home Recovery Install

C:\ Is the primary Windows install from above

E:\ My Recovery XP files, progs etc - Why it chose E rather than D, is forever a mystery.

M:\ Media as above

This install sees all 3 partitions.

So, I would try doing a minimal install of XP to a small C partition, then continue installing XP to other larger partitions as neccesary. Once done, go into every XP install, and change drive letters (other than the self) to be consistant.

Once everything works, have a poke around Partition Magic/Boot Magic, I expect the option for making drives invisible to one another is in there somewhere.

I've only just set this up myself, hope it helps. :)

antzpompeii

This is not what you want to here but, visit Terabyte Unlimited and try out BootItNg, Image for Windows and Image for DOS. I used to use PM and it is a bug infested piece of s***t-especially after Symantec took it over. I have been using Terabyte for over a year and never, I mean not even one tiny little, problem. It supports what your BIOS supports and is fully RAID and anything else compliant. There is a bit of a learning curve but the manuals and there support are fast and impecable-try it and you will never use anything else.

Hi All

Just reporting back.... as you can see i've been offline for a couple of days and thats thanks to Partition Magic! rrrhhhh

Anyways, i've decided to work with only one operating system WinXP and using PArtition Magic i've created the following:

PRIMARY PARTITION: WinXP

LOGICAL PARTITION: Temp Downloads

LOGICAL PARTITION: Backups (Norton Ghost) not to be defragged

LOGICAL PARTITION: Videos

LOGICAL PARTITION: Photos

To create a multiboot was toooooo confusing and time consuming and when i thought about it (i only have a 40gb hard drive.

Maybe when i update my HDD i will endeavour again the multibooting with PArtition Magic.

One again thanks all of you who have tried to help.

Regards,

Antz