Multiple WINNT.sif configs in one CD? Or something like it.

I am wondering if there is a way to have different automatted configs (WINNT.sif/answer files) on one intallation for XPSP2. As it is right now, I have to have:

- A CD that installs XPSP2, no questions asked.

- A CD that asks me for the computer name before it installls everything

- A CD that lets me reformat, then takes over and does it all

- A CD that has no answer file, no WINNT.sif

- A CD that doesn't join a domain

Is there a way to have all of this options in ONE cd?... I was thinking different WINNT.SIFs would work, but if you have ANY idea on how to go about being able to choose what installation to do would be AWESOME! (work of genious maybe?)

Help! :)

Yes. I'm not a genius, but the 5 demands are met by the SysAngel DVD Generator

=> http://dvdgen.windowsdream.com

• XPSP2 => slipstreamed (plus optional patches and SW)
  • Computer name => asked by a Linux pre-environment before any Windows install (plus org. name etc.)
  • Reformat first, take over and finish with no interaction after => done by the Linux PE too (was a main goal of developing it). Can also reformat without formating anything, a clean way.
  • There's a winnt.sif, but it's customized during the Linux step.

Make sure to read the product doc.

Natan

So, let me get this straight. With this DVD creator, I can:

Set different kind of installs and configure a "Menu" of type of installations?

like after I configure it, the menu will say:

Option 1 - Nuke partitions, Set name of computer, add to domain

Option 2 - configure partition size, name computer and domain

Option 3 - Install basic OSXPSP2 (no answer files)

I already have a slipstreamed CD with everything I could ever want... Can I use my own slipstream CD with this DVD creator?... can I set my own WINNT.sif?.... Can I set different WINNT.sifs pre-installations (meaning that I would just need to boot from DVD, choose options I want and basically leave!

This is interesting, got a link?

So, let me get this straight. With this DVD creator, I can:

Set different kind of installs and configure a "Menu" of type of installations?

There's already a set of menus, available during the Linux PE step.

like after I configure it, the menu will say:

Option 1 - Nuke partitions, Set name of computer, add to domain

Option 2 - configure partition size, name computer and domain

Option 3 - Install basic OSXPSP2 (no answer files)

Well, not exactly. Currently, and concerning your specific queries, the release does the following:

• Nuke parts: you'll be given a choice. Either nuke the first drive, either keep data. If nuking, then the script will create a C and a D parts on the first drive, giving you the opportunity to choose the size of the C (remaining space would go to the D). If choosing to keep data, the current Windows and Program Files reps of the C: drive will be deleted, Documents and Settings will be renamed to Documents and Settings.old, and a new Windows will be installed on the C drive -- with no formating, thus.
  • Set name of computer: done.
  • Add to domain, name the domain: has not been done yet. Currently, winnt.sif is set to be part of workgroup "Workgroup". You can edit it, but this is static, and would have to be manually edited during the Linux step. Yet, I could add menus for this quite easily... I like the idea. Soon to be released...
  • Option 3: sure.

I already have a slipstreamed CD with everything I could ever want... Can I use my own slipstream CD with this DVD creator?... can I set my own WINNT.sif?.... Can I set different WINNT.sifs pre-installations (meaning that I would just need to boot from DVD, choose options I want and basically leave!

This is interesting, got a link?

http://dvdgen.windowsdream.com

The generator asks you for an i386 folder. Slipstream in this folder whatever you want. You can edit the winnt.sif file before having an ISO generated, but cannot give more than one winnt.sif (it is being modified after answers are obtained from menus, when in Linux). And yes, the Linux step takes 5 minutes, and it's unattended afterwards.

Well... this is the current way it's working. It's clear that with an embedded Linux OS, I can improve many, many things, and add features in the future. Having several winnt.sif and being given the possibility to choose what winnt.sif must be used when in the Linux step could be implemented in a near future.

Natan

U can edit setupldr.bin file to looking fow winnt.sif to anothet sif file.

Then multiply them.

copy setupldr.bin, then rename it to something else.

HEXEdit winnt.sif to something else.

In multiboot cd.

1. Setupldr.bin (uses winnt.sif, standart windows installation)

2. Fastldr.bin (uses fast.sif, unattented windows installation)

U can edit setupldr.bin file to looking fow winnt.sif to anothet sif file.

Then multiply them.

copy setupldr.bin, then rename it to something else.

HEXEdit winnt.sif to something else.

In multiboot cd.

1. Setupldr.bin (uses winnt.sif, standart windows installation)

2. Fastldr.bin (uses fast.sif, unattented windows installation)

Multiboot CD - Is this the same posted somewhere in this forums?.. have a link?

NATAN:

Good Job on that DVD software, is there ANY way to edit the current linux config to NOT ask what I don't want it to ask (to preset the questions and not actually take 5 minutes). 5 minutes is still awesome!... but I don't see why the linux config can't be modify. I'll be installing your software soon, I'm creating a VM for it for testing. Again, nice Job and looking forward to the next release!

Good Job on that DVD software, is there ANY way to edit the current linux config to NOT ask what I don't want it to ask (to preset the questions and not actually take 5 minutes). 5 minutes is still awesome!... but I don't see why the linux config can't be modify. I'll be installing your software soon, I'm creating a VM for it for testing. Again, nice Job and looking forward to the next release!

Thanks. Well, adding features is only a question of time, now. I'll keep announcing new versions on MSFN.

I'm impatient to get more feedback...

Edited by natan770

• 1 year later...