[MISC] Remote Desktop Connection

Hi! :hello:

Please help me ! :blushing:

How can i connect using "Remote Desktop Connection" to a computer which is behind :

1. a router (forward port 3389? How can i do that? it is specific to the router?) :}

2. a "Internet Connection Sharing" :(

All computers are using XP PRo and all settings for "Remote Desktop Connection" are correct

As far as Remote Desktop goes, yes port forwarding through a router will work. As far as through Internet Connection Sharing, that's a toughy. While not exactly the solution you're looking for, I think you can initiate Remote Assistance through Internet Connection Sharing via Windows Messenger so long as UPnP is enabled.

As far as Remote Desktop goes, yes port forwarding through a router will work. As far as through Internet Connection Sharing, that's a toughy. While not exactly the solution you're looking for, I think you can initiate Remote Assistance through Internet Connection Sharing via Windows Messenger so long as UPnP is enabled.

Thanks RogueSpear but i'm not looking for an alternative solution to "Remote Desktop"!

All i'm asking is What's the IP of a comp which is behind a router or a ICS (viewable from internet)

I want to connect to a comp which is part of a small network (at home 3 comps)

Remote Desktop Connection it's working OK when comps are direct connected to internet (without router or ICS)

:}

if the computer you want to access from the outside world is 192.168.1.3 for example then look in your router config and forward traffic destined for port 3389 to 192.168.1.3 and remote desktop should work

as for the ip you actually use to connect to your home network put in your external ip (if you dont know it go to www.showmyip.com)

thanks

hope it helps

if the computer you want to access from the outside world is 192.168.1.3 for example then look in your router config and forward traffic destined for port 3389 to 192.168.1.3 and remote desktop should work

as for the ip you actually use to connect to your home network put in your external ip (if you dont know it go to www.showmyip.com)

thanks

hope it helps

Thanks eyeball! :yes:

But can i forward traffic destined for port 3389 to all 3 comps (for example 192.168.0.2 , 192.168.0.3 ,192.168.0.4)? or should i change the port for each comp's "Remote Desktop Connection" and forward every port (for example 192.168.0.2:3389 , 192.168.0.3:3390 , 192.168.0.4:3391)?

Would this work for ICS too? (to change the port for "Remote Desktop Connection" for comps behind ICS?)

:blushing:

What are you using ICS for in this case? If you are behind a router, then you are using the router as the ICS.

I'm Thinking to buy a router but if ICS it's working.... :thumbup

I have to test all this first (soon)

Edited by Mercury_22

• 2 months later...

Last time I checked, to use Remote Desktop Connection each host computer must be running XP Pro or 2003. The client computer doesn't matter as long as the appropriate client software is installed; you can even use Win98 as a client if you download the software from Microsoft.

I'm thinking it's quite possible to have multiple RDC hosts behind a router as Mercury_22 would like. One port for each host would have to be opened at the router and forwarded as such:

• Router_IP:3389 => Host1_IP:3389
  • Router_IP:3390 => Host2_IP:3389
  • Router_IP:3391 => Host3_IP:3389
  • Router_IP:339? => Host?_IP:3389

For D-Link routers this port substitution can be done on the Virtual Server configuration page with Public and Private ports. I don't know the proper terminology used for other brands of routers.

To access each host, you must specify in the client which port to use. Assuming your home WAN address is 200.200.200.200 you would enter this in the Computer field to connect to Host3:

200.200.200.200:3391

Edited by 5eraph