No end in sight for Microsoft IE 6 SP1

Well an end, or the beginning of an end, anyroadmap

STORIES THAT it's going to be impossible for people to download Internet Explorer 6 SP1 from the end of this month are untrue.

A reader of web site Dr Keyboard's Message Board said that First Direct bank had notified its staff telling them it's the end of the road for the browser.

But First Direct has it a bit wrong. In fact, although it goes end of line (EOL) at the end of the month, that doesn't mean that the product is going to disappear.

A Microsoft representative told Dr KB's Message Board: "I have spoken to the product manager for Internet Explorer and there is indeed confusion over the support life cycle.

"Microsoft will continue to make available IE 6.0 as a download for these (NT, 98, etc) versions of Windows. The product managers have also been alerted about the email from First Direct and will look to investigate it further."

So it looks like someone at First Direct panicked a little too early. µ

First Direct internal memo

Important information about Internet Explorer and first direct's internet banking.

From 30 June 2003, Microsoft is removing the option to download Internet Explorer 6 for specific operating systems. This means that anyone using Windows 98/98 Second Edition and Windows NT 4 will no longer have the option of downloading or upgrading to the latest Microsoft Internet browser on-line from this date. This will also apply to Windows Millennium edition, as of 31 December 2003.

What does this mean to me?

As Internet technology advances, websites become more dependent on the latest browser to help deliver content and ensure a unique user experience. This is particularly relevant for internet banking as the latest browser is also required to ensure compatibility with security certificates, which are required to guarantee the authenticity of a secure website.

Later this year first direct will be renewing its own security certificate and if you do not upgrade now it could result in some compatibility issues with our on-line services.

It is therefore important that you follow the instructions below.

What do I have to do?

If you are using Windows 98/98 Second Edition or Windows NT 4, you need to ensure you download Internet Explorer 6 by 30 June 2003.

If you have Windows Millennium edition, you need to ensure you download Internet Explorer 6 by 31 December 2003.

How do I download or upgrade to Internet Explorer 6?

To upgrade your browser log on to www.microsoft.com/ie before the 30 June 2003 and download Internet Explorer 6 SP1. The time taken to download the program will depend on the speed of your Internet connection.

Please note, first direct have no control over the Microsoft website and is not liable for your use.

Source: The Inquirer

sorry, wont happen again  :)

:D

LOL

I'll post something on topic now...

Microsoft should just get rid of IE Completly from every platform and replace it with Mozilla Firebird

:rolleyes:

Come on Microsoft, do us a favor, Take out the trash [internet Explorer]

Or at least add some new (Unique) features to it :S

Fair Enough, But they need to be constantly Adding new features or else there browser is nothing, i mean look Most new browers, or at least Gecko Powered ones have Pop Up blocking or ad blocking to some extent.

IE hasn't changed for a while, its time for a Change.