internet explorer

whitney1

Hi, can anyone tell me if there is a way to save or over ride clearing of the history files on a pc? using windows xp and IE6.

I have 3 computers on line but not networked and all are used for work but also people get on line and surf the web. I would like to be able to make sure there is nothing odd going on with these computers and that nobody is going to sex sites or other unwanted sites on my pcs. Thanks

If you want to keep the IE history for longer, just go to Tools -> Internet Options, and there is a box at the bottom to choose how long to keep history (max 999 days).

Most of the history or MRU's in XP can have a time limit set on them.

SP

Thanks for your reply. I have already done that but what I was wanting to know is ....... is there a way to prevent someone from clearing the history or can it be logged even if the history is cleared. Anyone can just hit the delete history button after they have used the computer.

Thanks for your reply. I have already done that but what I was wanting to know is ....... is there a way to prevent someone from clearing the history or can it be logged even if the history is cleared. Anyone can just hit the delete history button after they have used the computer.

One option is to disallow opening the 'Internet Options' dialog in the first place. I know that Spybot can do this as one of it's options, I believe it's a registry entry, but not sure which one. Google may help.

Edit : Check out this website : WinGuides

SP

Edited by seapagan

Cool find Memnoch. Another suggestion would be to lock XP down into a kiosklike mode with no access to start menus or hard drives or anything....just whatever applications are needed will have their shortcuts placed on the desktop and thats all they can do is dbl click to run them but not configure them ever.

If you have XP pro, then you can also use group policy editor to remove access to the "Clear History" option. I have used this in corporate setting before to monitor Internet activity on our kiosk computers which were connected to an outside commercial ISP. We found that people were using these computers to avoid being monitored while visiting sites "unsuitable" for the workplace, and then would clear the history to avoid being tracked, but loading them with spyware in the process. Of course there are other ways to cover your tracks and there are other ways to find out what sites have been visited, but once the users realized they couln't clear thier history, this behavior stopped almost immediately.

Start --> Run... --> gpedit.msc

(Just like with the Registry, always be careful making changes to the group policy--there, I said it).