Learning VB.Net

I've no programming skill and wish to learn VB.Net: do I need to learn VB 6 first from scratch before turning to VB.Net?

I've seen the latest Visual Basic 2005 Step by Step book from MS Press but it doesn't look like a beginner's book.

And likewise, do I need to learn C++ before Visual C++.Net?

Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks. :hello:

You really don't need to learn older versions of a language prior to learning the current version. One could argue that it would be helpful for those times when you need to work with someone else's code, but I think your efforts would best be spent diving right into the latest version, especially if your primary goal is to do your own programming (as opposed to securing a job that might dictate using something older).

I've found that the best way to learn to program is to do it. You can read several tomes of instruction and information, then sit down and not have the first idea of what to do next. The beginning is always the most difficult. Getting some of the essential basics down, then things should begin to pick up for you. And you will never really stop learning new things and picking up new tricks.

Don't be fooled by the whole .NET label. Sure there are new ways of doing things, but that does not indicate VB6 is a prerequisite for VB.NET.

In fact, to continue on what RogueSpear said, not only is learning a previous version not necessary, but because of the huge structure, layout and language changes in VB .NET, learning VB 6 before .NET may just confuse you even more.

Thanks jcarle! It'd make sense.

Before asking here, the only uneasiness or hesitation I have starting straight from VB.Net is that most books on VB.Net or newer versions that I've seen assumes you know some VB.

You might want to take a look at some of the training videos that CBT Nuggets have to offer. I've found them to be pretty decent. If you have a little more money to spend (or your employer maybe), take a look at AppDev. They have very comprehensive training programs.