Reading SID from registry

Hi all,

I found the key in the registry that causes Control Panel to be seen either through the Classic View or the Category View, without using that "ForceClassicControlPanel" sequence, because I would lose the ability to single-click on the control panel to switch between category and classic view.

However, it implies on identifying the SID generated by Windows XP.

I have even found programs which expose the SID and export it to a text file in a single line like that:

S-1-5-21-blah blah blah...

Question: is there a way to read that text file and "compose" a string?

I would have:

[HKEY_USERS\the_SID_string\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\WebView\BarricadedFolders]
"shell:ControlPanelFolder"=dword:00000000 (0=classic view; 1=category view)

...So that I could prepare an unattended Windows XP installation CD with that tweak.

Better yet, what I'd really want is a way to directly extract SID from the registry without having to read any text file generated by any program.

Thanks,

Peron

I would prefer ro use wmic, however the following should work

@ECHO OFF&SETLOCAL ENABLEEXTENSIONS
FOR /F "TOKENS=*" %%a IN ('REG QUERY "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList" /S^|FINDSTR "S-1-5-"') DO (
FOR /F "TOKENS=3 DELIMS= " %%b IN ('REG QUERY "%%~a" /V "ProfileImagePath"') DO (
IF ERRORLEVEL 0 (
ECHO/%%~b|FIND "%USERPROFILE%">NUL
IF ERRORLEVEL 0 SET UserSID=%%a
)
)
)
IF NOT DEFINED UserSID ECHO/ SID not found&&PAUSE&ENDLOCAL&GOTO :EOF
SET UserSID=%UserSID:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\=%
REG ADD HKU\%UserSID%\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\WebView\BarricadedFolders /V "shell:ControlPanelFolder" /T REG_DWORD /D 0 /F
ECHO/ Your Registry Key was set using the following profile&ECHO/ %UserSID%&PAUSE&ENDLOCAL&GOTO :EOF

where delims=<tab>

Here a VBS script that makes a text file with all the user accounts info.

Save As UserAccountInfo.VBS

Dim Act, Fso, Break, Ts, VarLoc, S_5 :  S_5 = Space(5) : strComputer = "."
Set Act = CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")
Set Fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Break = Chr(171)& "-----------------------------------------"& Chr(187)
With Act
VarLoc = Array(.ExpandEnvironmentStrings("%USERPROFILE%\Desktop"),.CurrentDirectory,_
.ExpandEnvironmentStrings("%UserName%"),.ExpandEnvironmentStrings("%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\AccountReport.txt"))
End With

Set Ts = Fso.CreateTextFile(VarLoc(3))
Ts.WriteLine S_5 & Date() & " < ----- > " & Time() & " < ----- > " &_
"User Running The script : " & VarLoc(2) & vbCrLf & S_5 & "Script Ran From : " & VarLoc(1) & vbCrLf & S_5 & Break
Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")
Set colItems = objWMIService.ExecQuery("Select * from Win32_UserAccount Where LocalAccount = True")

For Each objItem in colItems
Ts.WriteLine S_5 & "Account Type: " & objItem.AccountType & vbCrLf & S_5 & "Caption: " & objItem.Caption
Ts.WriteLine S_5 & "Description: " & objItem.Description & vbCrLf & S_5 & "Disabled: " & objItem.Disabled
Ts.WriteLine S_5 & "Domain: " & objItem.Domain & vbCrLf & S_5 & "Full Name: " & objItem.FullName
Ts.WriteLine S_5 & "Local Account: " & objItem.LocalAccount & vbCrLf & S_5 & "Lockout: " & objItem.Lockout
Ts.WriteLine S_5 & "Name: " & objItem.Name & vbCrLf & S_5 & "Password Changeable: " & objItem.PasswordChangeable
Ts.WriteLine S_5 & "Password Expires: " & objItem.PasswordExpires
Ts.WriteLine S_5 & "Password Required: " & objItem.PasswordRequired
Ts.WriteLine S_5 & "SID: " & objItem.SID & vbCrLf & S_5 & "SID Type: " & objItem.SIDType
Ts.WriteLine S_5 & "Status: " & objItem.Status & vbCrLf & S_5 & Break
Next
Ts.Close
Act.Run(Chr(34) & VarLoc(3) & Chr(34))

Edited by gunsmokingman

Thank you all in the first place for your tips.

Yzöwl,

it seems you provided a solution where you search several keys in the registry for the one which matches what I need. You looked for "S-1-5-" and such research returns many entries.

However, if I could only look for "S-1-5-21", I'd find one entry only.

Is it possible to simplify that piece of code? I'm having a hard time trying to understand it fully.

Thank you in advance,

Peron