[Question] - Win XP VLK / VLM

coucou

Hi,

I have a Windows XP Professional VLM SP2 Pre Integrated.

May someone explain what differnce between WinXP VLK (Volume Licence Key) and WinXPO VLM (Volume Licence Media)?

Are they both VLK and VLM a Corporate version???

and finally, How do i know if my VLM version is a corporate one???

TNX

coucou

Title Edited - Please follow new posting rules from now on.

--Zxian

There is no such thing as a "Corporate" version. People usually refer to the VLM version as "Corporate" because it's usually large corporations that purchase them.

VLM = Volume License Media. This refers to the actual CD itself.

VLK = Volume License Key. This refers to the CD Key you use to install with. It requires the use of a VLM CD and will not work on Retail or OEM CDs.

May someone explain what differnce between WinXP VLK (Volume Licence Key) and WinXPO VLM (Volume Licence Media)?
- A Volume License Key (VLK) is a Windows (in this case, XP) license key that can be used on multiple PC's, and doesn't require activation. These keys are given to companies who have purchased either an Open, Select, or Enterprise license from Microsoft, and this key can be installed on as many PC's as are specified in the company's license agreement with Microsoft.

- Volume License Media (VLM) is a not-for-resale copy of the Windows (again, in this case, XP) installation media that can be used to install on multiple PC's, and will accept a Volume License Key (VLK). It will not accept a retail or OEM key, and thus can only be used legally in conjunction with a company's license agreement from Microsoft.

So you can see that both a VLK and VLM go together, with a licensing agreement from Microsoft, and you can't have one without the other.

And finally, How do i know if my VLM version is a corporate one???

If it's a true Volume License Media set, it is a so-called "corporate" set (meaning it belongs to someone's company and thier licensing agreement) that someone purchased along with a licensing agreement from Microsoft to use said media with a VLK. There are no exceptions.

One important thing to noe: if you have a VLM set and you don't have an agreement with Microsoft for a VLK, usage of the VLM CDs or any VLK is illegal in most countries.

Edited by cluberti

- A Volume License Key (VLK) is a Windows (in this case, XP) license key that can be used on multiple PC's, and doesn't require activation. These keys are given to companies who have purchased either an Open, Select, or Enterprise license from Microsoft, and this key can be installed on as many PC's as are specified in the company's license agreement with Microsoft.

& a Campus agreement

Edited by chiners_68