Windows XP SP1 -- any interest?

Tomcat76

Are there people who're interested in seeing HFSLIP capable of handling Windows XP with SP1?

So far, only TommyP and I have been testing betas of HFSLIP with XPSP1, and we're both having our own problems with it.

TommyP (uses VMWare): IE shortcut doesn't work and Quick Launch is broken

My problems (I'm doing an old-fashioned CD install):

1) wuaucpl.cpl (from Windows Update Agent 2.0) is copied over to the hard drive during txtmode setup, but is deleted and replaced by wuaucpl.cpl.manifest during GUI mode setup. This causes Windows Update to ask to install the Windows Update Agent at the first visit, making the integration useless.

2) Around T-19, I get a popup saying something to the extent of "Setup was unable to find 'glmda.ini' in (Unknown)". Glmda.ini is part of DirectX 9. Three things could happen, depending on what I do:

* If I point it to a local folder which holds the extracted content of dxnt.cab, setup continues and everything is fine

* If I press Cancel, the following problems arise:

- the background music doesn't play during the post-setup wizard (username/activation/etc.) but the xylophone noises (or whatever they are) DO play

- DirectX 9 is not installed

- IE shortcut doesn't work

- Quick Launch is broken

- the "System Restore" tab is missing under System Properties

- some menu items are missing (such as IE > Tools > Synchronize)

* If I point it to the I386 directory on the CDROM (where GLMDA.IN_ is located), setup continues but asks for the location of "glmda_g.ini" later on, which is NOT on the CD. If I press Cancel there, the same problems described above occur.

I've tested both SP1 as well as SP1a, modded the HFSLIP CMD, but nothing changes it. If I use BDANT.cab (intended for Win2K) instead of BDAXP.cab, DirectX 9 does get installed but I still get the prompt for the location of "glmda.ini" and the other problems are also there.

Any volunteers?

Anybody have an idea of what might be going wrong?

Edited by Tomcat76

Are there people who're interested in seeing HFSLIP capable of handling Windows XP with SP1?

Any volunteers?

Not found the time yet to to build and check the install.

And i probably cannot helps you with DX9 as i don't install it. My video board (Nvidia Quadro4 NVS) has only support for DirectX 8.1

Help is appreciated if anyone wants to test and help the XPSP1 slipstream. Tomcat and I were testing and ran out of ideas. We are both slipstreaming the latest updates, DX9C and the Windows Update Agent. Please use the January 7,2006 HFSLIP or newer to test and evaluate.

TC and TP issues:

Quick Launch does not appear

IE Shortcuts missing.

Only way to run IE is to open Program Files\Internet Explorer and double click the iexplore.exe

BITS update not installed (if a commandline is run, then all is fine).

TC Issues:

GLMDA.IN* file not found error when creating the start menu items.

A WUA20 item isn't copied over.

TP [non] Issue:

MSJava update is being reported. (And I don't want to slipstream a buggy program either).

Tomcat and I are unsure if there is a real need for SP1 slipstreaming, so we'll ask the HFSLIP community for their feedback and help.

I have isolated my Quick launch issue. In my winnt.sif I have IEACCESS=OFF because I hate IE icons. When doing this "switch", the C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch folder is not created. After installation, if you try enabling the qlaunch, it flags an error, however if you manually create the folder, then qlauch works.

I just tried again with IEACCESS=ON and all is great (I do not have to create a qlaunch folder). I have no issues with XPSP1 (using my latest beta).

Any volunteers?

Done my 1st install of HFSlip Windows XP SP1 image stored on RIS Server.

WU check missing critical HFs:

Update for Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) 2.0 and WinHTTP 5.1 (KB842773)

Critical Update for Windows Media Player Script Commands (KB828026) *

816093: Security Update Microsoft Virtual Machine (Microsoft VM) *

Update Rollup 1 for Microsoft Windows XP (KB826939) *

Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express 6 SP1 (KB823353) *

Security Update for Windows XP (KB841873)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB839645)

Security Update for Windows Messenger (KB887472)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB890046)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB900725)

Update for Windows XP (KB835409) *

Security Update for Windows XP (KB904706)

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - January 2006 (KB890830) *

* those HFs are not included in my HFSLIP\HF folder.

I will add the missing one in HFSLIP\HF and rebuild.

Not sure HFSlip can slipstream this one:

816093: Security Update Microsoft Virtual Machine (Microsoft VM)

but i need it because i use Windows XP SP1 (not XP SP1a) or i should remove MSJAVAVM with nLite 1st.

Edited by Bilou_Gateux

Bilou, Hold off a few days for testing xpsp1. Tomcat and I ironed out numerous bugs and all is great, but I want to test a bit more before I release the next version. FYI, hfslip won't be able to do the msjava update. I believe msjava is installed by sysoc.inf. You can probably edit that line out and you'll be have no majava; sysoc.inf is not a protected file.

Not found the time yet to to build and check the install.

And i probably cannot helps you with DX9 as i don't install it. My video board (Nvidia Quadro4 NVS) has only support for DirectX 8.1

Even when I'm using a GeForce 4 Ti, I use DirectX 9.0c, because some games still use DirectX 9, even when pixel shader 2 isn't being used. Mine don't support pixel shader 2, either. It's fine to install DirectX 9 on a "DirectX 8.1" (don't have pixel shader 2) video card.

The version of HFSLIP posted yesterday (HFSLIP_60117.CMD) fixes up XPSP1 related issues. Please don't complain about "recommended" updates. After you read the article on them, you'll realize that they aren't needed.