dial-up modem wont connect!

Woomera

ok i use my modem for dial-up in my xp pro and its fine but in my x64 when in the first step it tries to open the port so you hear the noise of modem it gives an error "error 668: the connection was terminated".

i checked the phone and modem tab in control pannel and diagnosed the modem and it was fine.

any idea?

thanks.

Well, if it works in x32 but not x64, it could be a driver incompatibility, or a hardware incompatibility. Have you made certain that your chipset and modem drivers are WHQL-certified Windows x64 versions?

actualy i didnt install any driver ,windows automaticly detected it and i just diagnosed it and it looked fine.

my modem is old (56k conexant) and i dont think that any driver will be avaliable for it even for xp pro :P .

in xp pro it jusy shows SOFT V90 ... .

• 2 weeks later...

would guess driver problem as well.

pull the card out of the system. and look it over for numbers / letters that may be a model number of some sort and do some googles. if nothing shows.

then look at biggest chip on the card (hope that it doesn't have sticker over it) and do some googling for the part number on the chip and win64 drivers.

ok i opened my case at last,the biggest chip on the modem have this note on it:

CONEXANT

RS56/SP-PCI

R6793-11

E28992.1

0020 MEXICO

and there were a white little big thing with this:

MX38262

any help? thanks.

This is another one of those "designed for Windows 98" hardware devices that may, or may not, work under XP x64. You'll have to try drivers built into the OS for this, and hope one of them works; this is going to be lots of trial and error, with no guarantee that any inbox driver will work.

I suggest that you get a brand new 56k modem or use a later driver, if possible. Windows XP 64-bit Edition possibly installed the wrong modem driver and thinks it's the right modem driver! I had that problem before with a PC and Windows XP would keep on giving me a BSOD and rebooting until I rebooted in safe mode then install the driver that came with the modem.

• 2 weeks later...