Good stuff... just a few good suggestion :)

LispWarez

First thing i want to say... Brilliant program. i wanted to build something just like this a few days ago but then i found this (saved me lots of time and troubles seems i dont know c++ too well). However there are a few things i would like to suggest.

1) XML. I know you dont like it (dont know why) but XML is structured unlike ini files. I have created a sample xml file that i was going to use for my program. Have a look at it. You will notice how structured and versatile it is. Another bonus of xml is that if you open it in Internet Explorer it verifies your tags for you. Instant xml verifier :)

2) Dynamic settings files. I had this planned for my program too. Scan through all drives on the computer looking for %filename%.xml in the root. If found then use that settings file for auto installing. This comes in handy when u have many different types of computer that you install on (say you want to install DVD/CD writing software only if you have a DVD/CD writer in your system) All you need to do is have the correct settings file on your flash disk and it will install all the apps in that settings file. No more need to select which programs you want to install after windows is done.

3) Instead of having the default settings file being install.ini how about making it %filename%.ini or better yet... xml ;) (where %filename% being the same name as the .exe) So if i change wihu.exe to setup.exe then it will look for the default settings file of setup.ini This will help keep the settings file next to the exe when in a folder with lots of other files.

These are some suggestions i would love to see built in. And IMHO would make wihu the best post XP setup installer application ever made.

ok so i forgot the attachment... here it is now

silent.xml

Edited by LispWarez

• 3 weeks later...

1) Well, the developer hates XML, thats his perogative.

2) Interesting idea. You could just tell the program to use your ini file instead of the defaul though. I install on plenty of different computers, and I just use a different INI file when needed.

3) eh, seems pretty pointless to me, but then again, the only things in the directory with WIHU is a buncha folders and the install.ini file, so they're always together for me.