Can't run Product Recovery CD

I had Windows XP on a 20GB (Maxtor) hard disk. While trying to add another hard drive of 160GB (Western Digital) capacity, I ran OnTrack (came with Western Digital) and it mistakenly overwrote the boot partition of the original disk. It also damaged the recovery software on the disk. Now when I try to run the recovery program from the recovery CD, it starts and then gives the error "The disk has EZ-Drive on it. But it's corrupted". After acknowledging, it shows "Error # 87. Failed to initialize engine". Then it runs for a couple of seconds and asks for the the second CD. The second CD does not run for even 5 seconds and then says " Take any CD or Floppy out and press enter for rebooting. The recovery process will continue after restart". After rebooting it will say "No Operating system found. Press F1 to go through the boot sequence again". I used the utilities that came with Western Digital CD and erased both the disks to get rid of anything that could have been on them. However, each time I am getting the same problem.

I had Windows XP on a 20GB (Maxtor) hard disk. While trying to add another hard drive of 160GB (Western Digital) capacity, I ran OnTrack (came with Western Digital) and it mistakenly overwrote the boot partition of the original disk. It also damaged the recovery software on the disk. Now when I try to run the recovery program from the recovery CD, it starts and then gives the error "The disk has EZ-Drive on it. But it's corrupted". After acknowledging, it shows "Error # 87. Failed to initialize engine". Then it runs for a couple of seconds and asks for the the second CD. The second CD does not run for even 5 seconds and then says " Take any CD or Floppy out and press enter for rebooting. The recovery process will continue after restart". After rebooting it will say "No Operating system found. Press F1 to go through the boot sequence again". I used the utilities that came with Western Digital CD and erased both the disks to get rid of anything that could have been on them. However, each time I am getting the same problem.

What it is is you have ereased the "OEM Windows XP" that came preinstalled on the harddrive. The recovery disk just looks into the "OEM" partition to restore your computer to the original settings that it was shipped from the factroy with.

reinstall windows. if u have important info on either of the disk then try to plug them into another computer. just to let you know, if you just wanted to add a drive, then all you need to do is plug it in. there was no need to use any software.

If your WinXP distro was indeed stored on the hard drive and got wiped when you erased it, then you're going to have to find an XP disc somewhere else...

However some of the better recovery CDs include the XP files in which case you should have no problem, but it seems this is not the case here :(

The recovery CD, I was told, does contain Windows XP. The problem seems to be something else. Is EZ-drive someway preventing the recovery CD from running properly?

What type/model of computer is it that you are having this trouble with?

IBM NetVista 2292

The original drive was by Maxtor, the new drive is Western Digital WDC1600JB

IBM NetVista 2292

Did you buy this computer brand new or was it a used computer when you got it? The reason I ask is that IBM never sold a NetVista 2292 - *** with Windows XP Professional They only sold this computer with XP Home or earlier on them.

You can go here and see the Software Numbers of thier recovery CD's --

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss...=MIGR-39316#xph

Just look at your cd and see if it matches any of these.

IBM recovery CDs do indeed have the Windows files on them.

The recovery program must be detecting something left behind on your drives. Use an eraser program that completely erases the sectors on the hard drive by filling them with zeroes, especially the first few hundred sectors.

IBM NetVista 2292

Did you buy this computer brand new or was it a used computer when you got it? The reason I ask is that IBM never sold a NetVista 2292 - *** with Windows XP Professional They only sold this computer with XP Home or earlier on them.

You can go here and see the Software Numbers of thier recovery CD's --

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss...=MIGR-39316#xph

Just look at your cd and see if it matches any of these.

This was a brand new computer with Windows XP Home Edition.

IBM recovery CDs do indeed have the Windows files on them.

The recovery program must be detecting something left behind on your drives. Use an eraser program that completely erases the sectors on the hard drive by filling them with zeroes, especially the first few hundred sectors.

I used all the utilities that came with the recovery CD and the OnTrack CD (that came with the WD drive) to erase both the drives. They however, seem to be leaving the EZ-drive stuff. Is there any other software that can get rid of that?

If your not worried about loosing your data, get either Ultimate Boot CD or just Ranish Partiton Manager.

For simplicity, unplug the new HD

Ultimate boot CD has the Ranish tool on it under "file system tools" (I think) Either way, run "Ranish Partition Manager". Select your boot partiton... (for get what it's called, but it's listed first).

Then select Erase... when asked "Fill with zeros", answer yes.

This "should" wipeout any partition managers.....

Then your Restore CD should work fine. It seems that it's whining about the EZ disk software. The only reason EVER to install it, is if your computer's BIOS doesn't support the new large drive.

And also I believe that the EZ software must be installed on the boot drive or else it won't load and thus won't be able to manage the larger drive.

Here's one better.... just make your big drive the main one and "quick restore" to it.

I used all the utilities that came with the recovery CD and the OnTrack CD (that came with the WD drive) to erase both the drives. They however, seem to be leaving the EZ-drive stuff. Is there any other software that can get rid of that?
A special-purpose disk-eraser. Here's one: http://killdisk.com/

Thanks LLXX! It worked. After erasing the EZ drive stuff, I was able to install XP from the recovery CD and now can use both the disks.