Help - Unattended wifi settings

EDIT: Ok, i messed and fussed and messed for days on this. Finally broke down and downloaded the beta version of autoit and it works flawlessly. Sigh. Maybe I missed you saying you build this with beta.

@Foose:

I'm Sorry that I could not help you before but glad that you eventually found the root of the problem.

I'll try to make it more clear about the beta version of AutoIt.

Also, I've just found that the 'UseWPA' parameter in the .ini file is not documented enough, so I'll update this as well.

@The Glimmerman: Can you give us more infos because Ryan replied in another thread that he did not manage to achieve this?

It's my own ignorance. I knew i had to be missing something since the rest of you were ok.

• 2 months later...

Hmm I wish this would work for me :-(

Im trying to get it to work on a Windows XP Pro OEM SP2 DANISH (DK/DAN) using AutoIT beta 3.2.1.5b.

It just opens up with Wireless configuration window (Named: Guiden Installation af Trådløst netværk).

I tried calling the compiled exe directly and also using a ini - still no joy :(

Any tips? :-)

• 9 months later...
Im trying to get it to work on a Windows XP Pro OEM SP2 DANISH (DK/DAN) using AutoIT beta 3.2.1.5b.

It just opens up with Wireless configuration window (Named: Guiden Installation af Trådløst netværk).

Hi! I had the same problem with a danish version. And solved by doing so:

Find line 74, that looks like:

$resource = DllCall("user32.dll", "long", "LoadString", "long", $xpsp2resLib[0], "long", 16201, "str", "", "long", 256).

Change 16201 to 16150.

The two text-string is alike in the English version, but different in the Danish version.

Best Regards,

Martin.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys, I have compiled Autowep with AutoIT3 Beta using my SSID and WPA key, but when i run the .exe nothing happens. If i right click the .exe and select run as i get the following AutoIT error: Unable to open the script file.

Any suggestions please?

• 1 month later...

OK, my first post. Please be gentile with me, ok? :whistle: This has been bugging me to DEATH on how to automatically provide Wireless Network Connection settings (SSID, Netowork key) during an unattended installation. While I haven't spent an enormous amount of time up on the Windows website, I was able to find this little piece of information after actually running the Wireless Network Setup Wizard and then exploring my little ol' thumbdrive. http://download.microsoft.com/download/a/f...-UFD_XPspec.doc and I truly cannot say that I understand it in the least because I am not in any way a bonified programmer or script creation expert. Perhaps one of the more enlightened forum members can shed some bright idea's upon us all. If there were a way to implement this into a script or small executable, it would even work for RyanVM's WPA2-PSK needs.

Bruce

• 2 weeks later...

Necessity IS the mother of invention :thumbup From zero to zero in just over two weeks. I've gotten myself a script put together that will allow a person to connect to a wireless network using 'any' authentication and encryption method. Thanks to Boarbabe and Dje for giving me the impetus to really start digging. I found an incomplete AutoIt script on the AutoIt forums that showed me how to actually use some of the features of AutoIt to open the windows I wanted to use and I was able to complete a script that allows the user to select not only the SSID and Authentication mode, but also to select the Encryption mode as well as setting the Network Key programmatically. The script is in no way a 'pretty' thing, but it does what I want it to do, which is to connect my computer to an already existing wireless network without user intervention. If anyone would like to download it and use it, they are more than welcome.

WiFiAutoConfig.zip

Thoughts and ruminations welcome!

Bruce

Edited by Bruce Darby

• 2 weeks later...
Necessity IS the mother of invention :thumbup From zero to zero in just over two weeks. I've gotten myself a script put together that will allow a person to connect to a wireless network using 'any' authentication and encryption method. Thanks to Boarbabe and Dje for giving me the impetus to really start digging. I found an incomplete AutoIt script on the AutoIt forums that showed me how to actually use some of the features of AutoIt to open the windows I wanted to use and I was able to complete a script that allows the user to select not only the SSID and Authentication mode, but also to select the Encryption mode as well as setting the Network Key programmatically. The script is in no way a 'pretty' thing, but it does what I want it to do, which is to connect my computer to an already existing wireless network without user intervention. If anyone would like to download it and use it, they are more than welcome.

WiFiAutoConfig.zip

Thoughts and ruminations welcome!

Bruce

I've been thinking on how to do the automated WiFi profile install for a few weeks, but didn't know how to implement it!

I can't get it to hold the profile on my system though. It goes through the notions and when I check my settings, no new profile exists. Even after rebooting! I have subsituded the script with my wireless details and I can clearly see my config settings flash up on the Wireless applets as they run through the script!

I'm sure it does work and I have a feeling something on my system is stopping it from working fully. Great info, thanks Bruce.

Configure your wireless connection manually. At the same time, take a look at the posted AutoIt script and compare what you do manually to what the script does. Does your manual configuration work? Does it match the actions as written in the posted AutoIt script? If the answer to both questions is "yes", then it should work.

I've been thinking on how to do the automated WiFi profile install for a few weeks, but didn't know how to implement it!

I can't get it to hold the profile on my system though. It goes through the notions and when I check my settings, no new profile exists. Even after rebooting! I have subsituded the script with my wireless details and I can clearly see my config settings flash up on the Wireless applets as they run through the script!

I'm sure it does work and I have a feeling something on my system is stopping it from working fully. Great info, thanks Bruce.

Silacomalley,

The script should be run after the wireless network drivers have been installed. In that way, the WZC already has the network identified, though without the specific SSID, etc., it won't connect. If the drivers for the wireless card haven't been installed, I've noticed that the WZC doesn't always allow settings to be saved as there isn't anything that is 'connecting' to the network. My script is only for connecting to an already existing wireless network, not for creating said network. Hope you work it out as it was a lesson in utility for me to get everything working. :)

Bruce

• 7 months later...

Hi! I had the same problem with a danish version. And solved by doing so:

Find line 74, that looks like:

$resource = DllCall("user32.dll", "long", "LoadString", "long", $xpsp2resLib[0], "long", 16201, "str", "", "long", 256).

Change 16201 to 16150.

The two text-string is alike in the English version, but different in the Danish version.

Best Regards,

Martin.

16150 also works with Italian XP, so I think this is the right string to be used.

If you're trying this on a non-English XP, I suggest to try first 16150.

If it still doesn't work, you should download and install Resource Explorer, open xpsp2res.dll and search around the strings 1000-1014 for the caption of the wizard dialog box in your language (in the right panel). The number of the string is the number to be used instead of 16201.

• 6 months later...

Thanks. This also helped me so far. Although I noticed that in the code, it didn't seem to work. I adjusted the focus, and now it works. Appearently, the one thing you may have to do, is to manually add the focus, which when actaully doing it, you don't have to worry about. Once I added the focus to the right components, it worked OK for me.

Line 123 should be

If $UseWPA Then ControlCommand($handle, "", 7424,'Check', '')	;Use WPA

using control command instead of control click, since it's a toggle field that way if you have previously gone into the wizard and checked wpa the script won't then uncheck wpa because of the remembered setting as the controlcommand function does not toggle the check box but instead tells it to just check it.