[Help] - Updates KB905915 and KB910437 don't install

Doc Symbiosis

The lattest updates don't install on my system and I don't have a clue why. This is the KB905915:

0.931: 2005/12/14 17:03:57.135 (local)
0.931: C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\0af5890fd4bd4b5e665ff4f51f8aab77\update\update.exe (version 6.2.29.0)
0.931: Failed To Enable SE_SHUTDOWN_PRIVILEGE
0.931: Hotfix started with following command line: -q /Z -er /ParentInfo:0fb5f19da59fb54891af7c12d8c9a099
0.931: Unexpected Error While Executing Line 1 ( Test.IE7InstallBlock.Section ) of PreRequisite
0.941: KB905915 Setup canceled.
0.941: Update.exe extended error code = 0xf00d

For the KB910437 there's no logfile created.

Anyone got an idea, what the problem is?

Title Edited - Please follow new posting rules from now on.

--Zxian

Edited by Zxian

are you one of the few that have tried IE version 7......

I had a different error cause I didn't install IE 7 just ran it from a folder.............

There seems to be some issue if you have had version 7 on your computer in any shape or form

Below is what worked for me don't know if it will fix all issues..........

I whipped up a file in the blender to remove the pesky key....

download the file KB905915FIXWINXP.zip then unzip it..

right click the file KB905915FIXWINXP.inf that is in the unzipped folder KB905915FIXWINXP then hit install

you will get no it is done message ,,,

reinstall the KB905915 update and bingo there you go.......

http://rapidshare.de/files/9363568/KB905915FIXWINXP.zip.html

or just delete this key in the register...

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{C90250F3-4D7D-4991-9B69-A5C5BC1C2AE6}\InProcServer32]

Edited by Coolsights2000

I got this error for the previous IE Cum Update

Test.IE7InstallBlock.Section

and it turned out to be because I changed the default Prog Install Dir. It has to be the default. Nothing to do with IE7. Then, a lot of MS error messages don't really mean what they say.

Edited by Takeshi

• 2 weeks later...

I had these two updates (KB905915 & KB910437) fail to install on one of our computers, but I finally figured out how to overcome the "Access Denied"and "Failed to Install Update" statements. Symantec even recommends that you install their products this way.

Configure your system for a "bare booted" version by using MSCONFIG with these settings:

First, run MSCONFIG.EXE by entering it in the "Start">"Run" box, and clicking "OK". Under the "General" tab, click on "Selective Startup" and UNcheck ALL BUT "Load System Services" and "Use Original BOOT.INI" (these two must remain checked!). Then go to the "Services" tab and put a checkmark in the box at the bottom for "Hide All Microsoft Services." (Many listed items will disappear.) Then Click on "Disable All." This will disable everything that is Not Essential to running Windows XP. Click on "OK" and choose "Restart." When it reboots with the "bare system," click OK on the MSCONFIG warning screen that comes up as it reboots, and then, when Windows finishes loading, you will be able to install the updates. Don't put MSCONFIG back to a "Normal" system yet until the Updates have been installed. (I went to the Microsoft site and downloaded the individual updates so I could run them myself instead of having to use the Update manager or Internet Explorer at "Tools">"Windows Update".) But these usual methods should still work, too.

After the updates have installed, remember to go back to the MSCONFIG window and click on "Normal Startup" so that everything runs again!

Edited by churchdrums